I want my XP back!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Alsenor

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
Hi, everyone.
I notice there are a lot of experienced users in this forum, and am hoping for some helpful advice.
My synopsis:
After suffering a crashhappy W95, then a mildly better W98, and a disaster of a W Millenium, I came to the conclusion that new operating systems serve only one purpose - the software and hardware maker's need for more sales.
But then came XP, and I said "finally".
After happily using XP for a few years it became time for a new machine. I tried to buy one with XP, but Vista was here by then, and I had to get an XP Media Center as a compromise. It was not the same as my previous experience, so I settled with Vista, until I had enough of the sluggishness.
A few months ago I gave in to recommendations of a friend to switch to W7, and bought a new HP with W7 on it.
Very pretty, and reasonably spunky for a while, but after multiple HP and MS "updates" getting less and less so.
I am left with the feeling that all my new and much better hardware is wasted on new operating systems, which are usually introduced with much fanfare, but are mostly eye-candy and a great resource appetite.

This is my current system: http://ggholiday.com/TEMP/system-info.html
I feel it would make my old XP really fly, and am toying with the idea of swapping out the 600GB HD for a smaller one and install XP on it.

Am I wrong, or over-expecting?
Thank you for any useful advice you may have. :)

Solution

I recommend adding another HDD for XP. Factory Image "D" is the partition (and it should be hidden) the mfr installed to allow you to re-install Win7 in case of corruption or failure of the system. You want to keep that intact, well I would want you to leave it alone if you were planning to bring it to me to fix after a failure.

The 78GB partition: 2 choices:
1) format it and assign it a drive letter so you can use it for Your Documents in Win7 -...

Alsenor

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
I will try that. I would prefer to do a "repair" to a clean install, particularly since the system doesn't want to install an older OS while a newer one is installed.

Alsenor

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
I didn't use an upgrade disc, but a regular installation disc with XP SP2 on it. It was from one of my my previous machines.

Alsenor

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
Does that mean I have to go into the BIOS each time I want to use the other OS? I was hoping for a way to have an option at bootup, the way one has when W7 is installed on the same drive as XP, after which it offers a to choose a "previous windows" at bootup before loading W7. Am I right in assuming that this can't be done if one uses a second drive for XP?

No, it doesn't mean that - only until you get XP installed.

Then you can use Method TWO on the page aford10 linked earlier to get the selection menu you want.

I will add that Method TWO will work, but an easier and quicker way that I have used is:
-- Boot to the W7 installation disk,
-- let W7 install menu appear,
-- look on the bottom of that screen for a link: Repair Win7 Installation,
-- click on that link.
You'll get the screen where W7 is loading files and repairing itself, but it will re-generate the bootloader, which will appear after the repair, shutdown, and restart cycle.

Alsenor

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
Ah, good. I suppose I will have to use method TWO, because I don't have a W7 installation CD (my last machine came with W7 pre-installed, and no CD!).