[SOLVED] I want to attach a power button to my PC, but have difficulty finding out how.

PeepoBuildsPCs

Prominent
Mar 5, 2021
So, I have a generic power button, and I would like to connect it to my PC.

I have a Workstation Z820, and I want to attach a power button to my desk just for convenience.

I have located the FRONT PANEL POWER BUTTON & LED on the diagram (the removable cover has a diagram), and have located the ports/pins/whatever. The problem is, it has a lot of pins that many tutorials don't apparently have.
The diagram says also includes speakers along with the power button. I have no idea where to put the LED & Button.

Thanks for the help.

By the way, I am have just started building PCs.

Images

Last edited:
Solution
The second image is very fuzzy, I can't tell anything.
Take a small flat bladed screwdriver and touch pairs of pins. Most of the time nothing will happen.
When you touch the correct two pins, the motherboard will start up.
That is where to connect your power button.

I would start with the side that has the 10 pins.
A power button is a momentary contact switch.
It has no polarity.
A power button is the only truly essential button on a pc.
Reset is not necessary nor are the led buttons.
No harm will come if you connect the buttons on the wrong pins, you just won't power on.
LED connections to the front of the case are polarity sensitive.
If not marked, the common color(usually black or white) is ground and a colored lead is +.

Reactions: CountMike

PeepoBuildsPCs

Prominent
Mar 5, 2021
A power button is a momentary contact switch.
It has no polarity.
A power button is the only truly essential button on a pc.
Reset is not necessary nor are the led buttons.
No harm will come if you connect the buttons on the wrong pins, you just won't power on.
LED connections to the front of the case are polarity sensitive.
If not marked, the common color(usually black or white) is ground and a colored lead is +.
Ok. But is there any specific pin I should put the two cables on? I don't really know.

Thanks for helping me!

Also, my buttons have white and yellow, and white and blue. There is no real way of telling which one is negative/positive, and they both don't have a + or -. Same goes for the LEDs.

Last edited:
If you do not have a layout of your front panel header, you will have to do trial and error.
Here is a very common layout of the pins:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...000005643/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards.html
Use the open pin position to orient your view.
The led leads in your example have white in common, that will be ground. The yelloew and blue will be the +

If you get it backwards, no damage will occur, the led simply will not light.

The pwr and RST leads are not polarity sensitive and can be connected either way.

PeepoBuildsPCs

Prominent
Mar 5, 2021
If you do not have a layout of your front panel header, you will have to do trial and error.
Here is a very common layout of the pins:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...000005643/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards.html
Use the open pin position to orient your view.
The led leads in your example have white in common, that will be ground. The yelloew and blue will be the +

If you get it backwards, no damage will occur, the led simply will not light.

The pwr and RST leads are not polarity sensitive and can be connected either way.
[/QUO
The problem is that it has more than 9 pins. So my question is, what is your best bet on where I should put the power buttons two pins.

The second image is very fuzzy, I can't tell anything.
Take a small flat bladed screwdriver and touch pairs of pins. Most of the time nothing will happen.
When you touch the correct two pins, the motherboard will start up.
That is where to connect your power button.

I would start with the side that has the 10 pins.

Solution