[SOLVED] I want to change my systems gpu but my 200 w psu limits me to do it.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 17, 2021
I have a prebuilt (LENOVO IdeaCentre 510S-08IKL) with a gt 1030 lp but I want to upgrade it to a gtx 1050 ti. Can I change my PSU with no problems? If yes please recommend me a PSU for my system with at least 300 watts

Solution
Great Value is a brand too, happens to be Walmart house brand. But you still aren't right.

It's a matter of volume. Mass market stuff tends to be of lesser quality, or have a much higher failure % than limited production stuff, regardless of Brand or lack thereof.

The psus made for HP by Seasonic or Delta use the same components, same QC, same everything. Seasonic doesn't buy cheaper components just to put into an OEM psu, that's a ton of extra squ's, less discounts on bulk components etc, they come from the same bins. Seasonic doesn't do sloppy soldering or any less quality of manufacture, just because it's an OEM unit. The only difference is the platforms and circuits inside. You won't get the 80+ nor anything above atx standard...
We're not going to agree--you think you're right from your experience and I think I'm right from my experience.

I know manufacturing and dealing direct with them because that's what I did with auto parts and I recognize the exact same patterns in all other industries--it's the same. And you don't know manufacturing if you don't think a .005 cent part cost difference is worth changing stuff up over.

It's trivial to change the capacitor for a particular run of parts and then switch back if it saves thousands. Hell, the cheap crap brands are taking it to a whole new level by putting in quality parts to get their name out and then swapping to garbage parts once sales start even when the performance is not the same--this is technically bait and switch. But if these companies were selling these lesser parts under a different brand, coming off the same line, they would be considered 'aftermarket' parts. And generally this is how it happens and how it is done--with aftermarket parts usually inferior to the originals. The few exceptions I've run into this was by the company KYB in their struts for the 1995 Nissan Altima. KYB made the Nissan parts and the aftermarket, and there were 4 Nissan parts for each wheel based on the trim level, abs/non-abs, and transmission, and KYB's aftermarket was just one made to stronger specifications and with a lifetime warranty versus Nissan's normal 12k/1yr.

My dad worked as an automotive engineer at Ford and he told me that every single new model by every single manufacturer had two part numbers--the 'initial quality' one that got the car selling and then the 'secondary vendor' that they swapped over to once they started moving cars to make more profit--and this was in the 1970-1980s. It's still the same today in every industry, especially with the watch on the bottom line and automated manufacturing. Even Lenovo's own part system has this built into their part numbers, the original part number and the FRU or 'field replacement unit'. Technically these should be the same thing, but if there's a way to save costs on a part, the good companies track that with a change in the part number and Lenovo goes one step further by assigning it a different number from the start.

You can buy oem stuff all day long and think it's the same quality, but there's a reason why I went to the dealership to buy a new Honda radiator when I had a warehouse full of aftermarket parts--there IS a difference. And its the same reason why for a proprietary part like a custom oem power supply, I get it from the oem. Aside from ram, storage, and cpus/gpus, there's little that I would try to get direct from the oems for a branded custom designed system.