Question I want to find a new performance mainboard ?

MajorPager

Prominent
Aug 8, 2023
Hello all, I am currently looking for a new performance mainboard and possibly CPU and most likely GPU to upgrade my main build.

I am wanting something that still has floppy support integrated with it, for example like the ASRock 980DE3, although I'm not a big fan of the old AMD processors, and I heard that this board was somewhat problematic.
I want to stick with intel, if I could reuse the Xeon X5670 that I am currently using that would be nice, but I believe all of the performance boards that still had floppy support were using Intel's Core 2s and AMD's P/A/S's, correct?

Besides obtaining a very low powered performance board what about a new one? Something cheap? I don't really know what to go for except for a replica of an upgraded Lenovo ThinkCentre M73 that a friend of mine has.

Send me some ideas, I'd like to see what I can work with.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello all, I am currently looking for a new performance mainboard and possibly CPU and most likely GPU to upgrade my main build.

I am wanting something that still has floppy support integrated with it, for example like the ASRock 980DE3, although I'm not a big fan of the old AMD processors, and I heard that this board was somewhat problematic.
I want to stick with intel, if I could reuse the Xeon X5670 that I am currently using that would be nice, but I believe all of the performance boards that still had floppy support were using Intel's Core 2s and AMD's P/A/S's, correct?

Besides obtaining a very low powered performance board what about a new one? Something cheap? I don't really know what to go for except for a replica of an upgraded Lenovo ThinkCentre M73 that a friend of mine has.

Send me some ideas, I'd like to see what I can work with.
A USB floppy is not acceptable? There was another thread I remember, that the person HAD to have a physical floppy because they were using some software that created disks for a synthesizer keyboard.

MajorPager

Prominent
Aug 8, 2023
A USB floppy is not acceptable?
Well it can be, but I rather it be an internal one than an external one. The external one I have I tried to make it into an internal one and it doesn't look good at all.

Although now that I think about it I could leave it on top of the new case I got since it's completely flat. But I still need a slightly older mainboard with the classic PCI ports on it.

kanewolf

Titan
Well it can be, but I rather it be an internal one than an external one. The external one I have I tried to make it into an internal one and it doesn't look good at all.

Although now that I think about it I could leave it on top of the new case I got since it's completely flat. But I still need a slightly older mainboard with the classic PCI ports on it.
Removing the REQUIREMENT for a floppy allows much wider choices.

List the make/model of all the parts of your current pc.
Let's see what could be reused.
Likely the case and not much else.
There are adapter cards that have floppy support,

Do you have a budget?
The X5670 is a very low performer by today's standards.
If you are looking for more performance, a new motherboard will not do it

You already have the last chipset with native support for a single floppy drive (the last for dual floppies was much older).

Non-USB workaround for a bootable 1.44MB floppy disk would be an internal SuperDisk LS-120 drive with IDE to SATA converter. That would also allow you to use 120MB SuperDisks (I think internal LS-240 drives were only sold in Asia).

MajorPager

Prominent
Aug 8, 2023
I apologize for taking so long to respond, I've been clearing out most of my home for the past week and have had little time to do anything.

List the make/model of all the parts of your current pc.
Let's see what could be reused.
Likely the case and not much else.
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5670 @ 2.93GHz, 2934 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
CPU cooler: Stock 92mm Intel Cooler (Unsure about this)
Fans: Current (1x 80mm / 1x 120mm) / Soon To Be Used (6x 80mm / possible 1x 120mm or 140mm)
Motherboard: Dell Studio XPS 9100 - 05DN3X
MB Version: Rev A04
Ram: 16 GB, 1600, mixed Samsung DDR3
HDD: 1TB = WDC WD10EADX-22TDHB0, 240GB = WDC WD2500JS-60NCB1, (2x) 150GB = ST3160815AS
GPU: PNY XLR8 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
PSU: EVGA GE Series 700 Watt
Monitor: (2x) Dell SE198WFP, Envision H19W, LG UltraGear
Case: 2004 Alienware Aurora Case (Got an 02'-04' Apevia case that I will use instead)

It's not that bad of a build but it definitely could be better, which is why I'm trying to make it better, or more useable and better looking in a sense.
The X5670 is a very low performer by today's standards.
If you are looking for more performance, a new motherboard will not do it
I wasn't necessarily looking for more performance but for more compatibility, hence why I suggested older boards which have more older style ports that I mostly see and use in my other units. The X5670 is slow compared to todays technology, but I'm only running games and applications that were made almost over 10 years ago, so I don't have that big of a problem with performance.
This will be the converter I use in my build, I haven't really been able to find something like it until now.
Do you have a budget?
As of currently I don't have one set in stone yet, although I think I will be able to let you know what I can do in a week or two.

You can vastly improve your performance with a ssd for your C drive.
The easy way is to buy a 1tb Samsung 870 EVO for about $100:
https://www.newegg.com/p/2AM-000Z-00080
Get 2tb if your C drive is nearing full.
Use the Samsung ssd migration aid to move your C drive to the new ssd and replace your HDD C drive.
App and instructions here:
You will be amazed at the difference.
Yes, there are cheaper ssd devices, but none better or simpler to convert.

If you should change out other parts, the ssd is still good for anything else you might build.