I want to get into overclocking.

Feb 16, 2018
I want to get into overclocking but I don't want to screw anything up. I have a i7-8700k and a Corsair h100i v2. motherboard: ROG Z370-F. I was wondering what my voltage should be if I want to overclock my cpu to 4.7 ghz and what other settings should I change in order for my computer to work at its maximum performance. Sorry for the trouble but, I'm only sixteen and I wanted to get more information on this kind of stuff without braking my pc.

Solution

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
With that motherboard and the simple ASUS bios mate hit restart on your PC, hit delete on load to enter BIOS. Click on EZ Tuning Wizard, select Gaming, Select "Box Cooler" (not Water Cooled even though you are as it tries to hit 5.2) and let the system do the overclock for you, simple as that.

Before you do that though open a tool to monitor your current CPU like CPU-Z and note the "Core Clock Speed" with nothing in the background running. Now go through the above steps and then when you boot into windows open CPU-Z and check the "Core Clock Speed" now, should be 4900 and you are overclocked !!! You can fine tune after that but for now this is a good way to start and boost your CPU to run at 4.9 Ghz standard rather than 4.7 Ghz max when under boost !!! :)

Well, in that case, I'd point you this : http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-3761568/cpu-overclocking-guide-tutorial-beginners-work-progress.html

This is a new guide to OC for beginners and semi-seasoned OC'ers. It's very useful, and I would consider myself a reasonable OC'er with many years of experience, and I've re-learned things I've forgotten. So I highly recommend it.

It's from a former Moderator and longtime member @ darkbreeze. I've had the pleasure of conversing with him, and he's a top guy!

From my own experience, I'd suggest researching what you want to achieve. Make sure you have the right components, are familiar with your BIOS, the hardware in your system, and their limitations. OC'ing is immense fun, a little tricky, but a great (and free) way of getting more performance out of your system.

With all of that said. You have one of the best mainstream gaming CPU's out there. You don't NEED to OC your system. It will perform perfectly well at stock speeds.

What GPU do you have? Your system as is, without knowing the GPU is pretty monster, and will handle anything you throw at it, and then some. If you were a semi/pro gamer and you just wanted more FPS then I'd say OC your system. If you are a casual gamer, and like all the bells and whistles, you already have one of the best gaming CPU's on the market to achieve that. So I'd worry about OC'ing further down the line. Like maybe 3-5 years! :) When it could benefit you. Right now, you don't need to OC to achieve some benchmark score or 2 extra FPS (game dependant) from OC'ing. Just enjoy your system as is for now.

WildCard999

Titan

This is not good advice, auto overclocking software almost always uses way too much voltage (electromigration) for the overclock and will end up ruining the CPU over time (much faster then gaming use). The best way to start overclocking is read the guides first and learn about it then make your attempt.

The Intel Temperature Guide by CompuTronix is a excellent read and includes the software for monitoring and testing.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

With that CPU/MB/Cooler I would start at 4.5ghz @1.30V. Move up in increments of 100mhz at a time and adjust voltage as needed (crashes). Max safe voltage is 1.4V, good luck and let us know how it turns out for you.

Solution

Good call. Auto settings, specially on Vcore is not the way to go. The voltage can go to insane levels to hit turbo speeds. Although for short bursts, it still isn't good for CPU longevity. Best through bios, manually and testing for stability along the way.

Feb 16, 2018

I have a evga 970 ssc but, I ordered a evga 1070 ftw 2 which will be here in about 3 days.