[SOLVED] I want to mod Cooler Master HAF X

Im currently in love with this case,i will 99,9% buy it in the near future.
My questions are:
-I want to remove the existing side panel,and replace it with a clean glass one,is there a glass panel i can buy for this case,or do i need to get creative and make my own with the help of my father?
-Will i be able to mount this VGPU mounting kit without any problems?
-Since it is a older case,is the building process same/similar?
Thanks in advance.

Solution
This is where you want to ask those questions at if you want the highest chance of getting answers from people who actually own that case and have likely done a fair amount of toe dipping when it comes to HAF X modifications.

https://www.overclock.net/threads/the-official-cooler-master-haf-x-932-922-912-club.392179/page-804

If the answer isn't already there in that thread somewhere, I'd be willing to bet one of the regulars of that thread can tell you the answer in pretty short order. I'm not aware of any pre-made glass panels for the HAF X but, I mean, there could be, and I just haven't seen them.
This is where you want to ask those questions at if you want the highest chance of getting answers from people who actually own that case and have likely done a fair amount of toe dipping when it comes to HAF X modifications.

https://www.overclock.net/threads/the-official-cooler-master-haf-x-932-922-912-club.392179/page-804

If the answer isn't already there in that thread somewhere, I'd be willing to bet one of the regulars of that thread can tell you the answer in pretty short order. I'm not aware of any pre-made glass panels for the HAF X but, I mean, there could be, and I just haven't seen them.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Solution

Thanks,i found what i was looking for.

@Darkbreeze i posted a thread there regarding the side panel replacement.
I was told to buy a tempered glass panel with 4 cut holes,which i will.
Now,since you are probably older than me and have much more experience than a 16 year old kid,is the build process the same as it is with the current cases?
It looks similar but i will be taking of the fan on the side panel,and putting it on top,alongside taking out the gpu support brackets (atleast it looks like a gpu support bracket.)
Also is the front panel the same?
I know everything besides 1394 thingy.
I dont what 1394 port is,should i do something with it or leave it unplugged to the motherboard?

1394 is OLD school Firewire, and not only have most people never used a firewire device, most of them are not even supported or available anymore. It is definitely not something that is "needed" by any modern hardware that I'm aware of.

(And I'm aware of everything..............ok, not really everything, just most stuff, on computers, not in general. LOL)

1394 is OLD school Firewire, and not only have most people never used a firewire device, most of them are not even supported or available anymore. It is definitely not something that is "needed" by any modern hardware that I'm aware of.

(And I'm aware of everything..............ok, not really everything, just most stuff, on computers, not in general. LOL)
Thank you for your help : )

RAIDGoblin

Reputable
Jan 10, 2021
-Will i be able to mount this VGPU mounting kit without any problems?
It's not designed for the HAF X case so I can't say for certain, but it's mounted across 7 expansion slots, expansion slots are standard and the HAF X has more than enough and plenty of room I think it should fit, and if it didn't it would likely only need a small amount of modification to make it work

It's not designed for the HAF X case so I can't say for certain, but it's mounted across 7 expansion slots, expansion slots are standard and the HAF X has more than enough and plenty of room I think it should fit, and if it didn't it would likely only need a small amount of modification to make it work
Thank you for the response.
Yeah i think it will work,i just have to decide if im going to mount it on 1-7 expansion slots or 2-9.

RAIDGoblin

Reputable
Jan 10, 2021
Thank you for the response.
i just have to decide if im going to mount it on 1-7 expansion slots or 2-9.
NP
i just have to decide if im going to mount it on 1-7 expansion slots or 2-9.
Personally, so long as the graphics card doesn't end up blocking air flow to anything else, I would decide by what looks best. If you're getting a full glass side you'll be able to see the GPU where ever it is, so I guess it's just a question of what other stuff does it cover up

also, do you have a plan for attaching you're glass side to the case when you get it? don't worry if you haven't worked it out yet, this is just my curiosity getting the better of me because case mods are awesome ;)

NP

Personally, so long as the graphics card doesn't end up blocking air flow to anything else, I would decide by what looks best. If you're getting a full glass side you'll be able to see the GPU where ever it is, so I guess it's just a question of what other stuff does it cover up

also, do you have a plan for attaching you're glass side to the case when you get it? don't worry if you haven't worked it out yet, this is just my curiosity getting the better of me because case mods are awesome ;)
Going to have to think about that one.
From what i see,the side panel doesnt have any screws,so i think im going to have to take measurements of the existing side panel,and cut the glass pane the exact same size,so i can just slide it in the same way the original case does.
Any other ideas?

RAIDGoblin

Reputable
Jan 10, 2021
Going to have to think about that one.
From what i see,the side panel doesnt have any screws,so i think im going to have to take measurements of the existing side panel,and cut the glass pane the exact same size,so i can just slide it in the same way the original case does.
Any other ideas?
this will need some thought indeed, hmmm...

firstly, it's always easier to work these things out once you have the case to look at, so don't make any decisions yet, here's my thought's though:

in the past I've made replacement side panels for cases (belonging to college friends) from perspex, but I've never used glass, the method I've used for fastening the perspex is to work out where you can drill holes in the case, if the metal is thick enough you can thread the holes using a thread tap, and if not, rivnuts. So your original thinking of getting glass made with holes in 4 corners might be you're best option?

stress points will be a risk, so you'll probably need some kind of gasket or spacer so the glass isn't tightened against metal, and fiber-washers between the glass and the bolts to protect the glass from scratches

but honestly, it's you're project, do it how you think best

this will need some thought indeed, hmmm...

firstly, it's always easier to work these things out once you have the case to look at, so don't make any decisions yet, here's my thought's though:

in the past I've made replacement side panels for cases (belonging to college friends) from perspex, but I've never used glass, the method I've used for fastening the perspex is to work out where you can drill holes in the case, if the metal is thick enough you can thread the holes using a thread tap, and if not, rivnuts. So your original thinking of getting glass made with holes in 4 corners might be you're best option?

stress points will be a risk, so you'll probably need some kind of gasket or spacer so the glass isn't tightened against metal, and fiber-washers between the glass and the bolts to protect the glass from scratches

but honestly, it's you're project, do it how you think best
Thank you for the advice.
I was originally planning to do this after i get the case.
And i think that 4 screws will be enough.
So i will drill 4 holes in the case,the put the predrilled glass on there and then screw it in and hope it doesnt fall xD
Sounds good?

Last edited:

RAIDGoblin

Reputable
Jan 10, 2021
Thank you for the advice.
I was originally planning to do this after i get the case.
And i think that 4 screws will be enough.
So i will drill 4 wholes in the case,the put the predrilled glass on there and then screw it in and hope it doesnt fall xD
Sounds good?
4 screws should be enough, my brothers got a huge tower case with a big sheet of glass on the side and it only has 4 M3 bolts, so there's no reason why it wouldn't work

it might also be worth seeing if you can get a black vinyl transfer made in a rectangle with a hole cut out, to cover about 1'' all the way round the edge of the glass like a frame, not required but it would hide any gasket between the case and the glass, and wiring, bare case metal etc... make the whole thing look that bit nicer, it's just an idea ;)

4 screws should be enough, my brothers got a huge tower case with a big sheet of glass on the side and it only has 4 M3 bolts, so there's no reason why it wouldn't work

it might also be worth seeing if you can get a black vinyl transfer made in a rectangle with a hole cut out, to cover about 1'' all the way round the edge of the glass like a frame, not required but it would hide any gasket between the case and the glass, and wiring, bare case metal etc... make the whole thing look that bit nicer, it's just an idea ;)
Very smart idea i must say,you are really helpful : )
I want to do something like this guy did https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11450-Show-CoolerMaster-HAF-X-window-modding-here
But he mounted the glass on the existing HAF X's side panel,i want to mount it dirrectly onto the case.

Reactions: RAIDGoblin

RAIDGoblin

Reputable
Jan 10, 2021
@Djoza that's a cool mod you linked, and it's a good idea to use the existing side panel as an attachment method, if you did that but cut out the middle of the existing side panel leaving an inch around the edge, then you wouldn't need the vinyl and you would have the full window like you wanted

Very smart idea i must say,you are really helpful : )
NP :)