Question I want to play 4K HDR 10 video on my pc. I have 55“ 4k tv. Will I be able to play 4k hdr 10 videos with core i3 9100f (9th generation) with GT710 GPU?

Sep 18, 2019
Will core i3 9100f with 710 GPU be able to play 4k hdr 10 videos smoothly? No gaming or video editing. Just an htpc for 4k hdr 10 smooth video play back.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
My gut says no, but this is not a common pairing, or request. Basically the lowest end new model GPU you can buy, probably worse than the integrated graphics the normal i3-9100 comes with.

You can certainly try it out and report back. I don't think you are going to not buy the TV if this is the plan. You can always upgrade the PC later.

Reactions: aditya9128

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
the igpu inside 9100 is actually better than gt 710

i3-9100F doesn't have an iGPU, so in this case the GT710 is mandatory to get any video output at all.

I just don't see that GPU being capable of running 4K HDR10 content smoothly. Intel actually goes out of their way to make their GPUs capable of decent playback and media browsing. Even then I'm not sure about HDR content. Wasn't really a thing when the GT710 was built. It will certainly do 4K 60hz output, but whether it can handle the data requirements of HDR is another matter.

Sep 18, 2019
Thanks a lot bro for the reply. Actually I have already purchased the 4K HDR 10 TV. My current PC specs are - AMD A4-4020 APU, asus A68 HMK FM2+ socket mobo, 4GB HYPERX FURY DDR 3 RAM and GT 710GPU. This setup is able to play full hd 1080p smoothly however 4k hdr video freezes with K like codec player. VLC and other players doesn't play 4k at all.

So am planning to change cpu to core i3 9100f (requires discrete gpu), mobo and DDR 4 RAM.

If you can suggest a better setup within the same budget. My only purpose is to play 4k hdr 10 videos.

My gut says no, but this is not a common pairing, or request. Basically the lowest end new model GPU you can buy, probably worse than the integrated graphics the normal i3-9100 comes with.

You can certainly try it out and report back. I don't think you are going to not buy the TV if this is the plan. You can always upgrade the PC later.

jostegogar

Reputable
Mar 26, 2019
i3-9100F doesn't have an iGPU, so in this case the GT710 is mandatory to get any video output at all.

I just don't see that GPU being capable of running 4K HDR10 content smoothly. Intel actually goes out of their way to make their GPUs capable of decent playback and media browsing. Even then I'm not sure about HDR content. Wasn't really a thing when the GT710 was built. It will certainly do 4K 60hz output, but whether it can handle the data requirements of HDR is another matter.
you know there is also 9100 that has built in gpu

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I think Yonose was able to navigate Nvidia's now inexplicably terrible website and find the answer. Still, having tried to use low end video cards for video playback before, there may still be issues depending on the encoding.

Ryzen 2200G is not a bad idea. What I've found says it is capable of HDR playback, though there are still some software bugs floating around. Those may have been resolved by now.

Either way, a more powerful GPU is certainly necessary.

Sep 18, 2019
Can you suggest AMD APU, MOBO? It should be able to play 4k hdr 10 videos. My current experience with AMD is very bad with a4 4020 APU, It's damn damn sluggish.

At this price point why not look at an AMD APU?
I think Yonose was able to navigate Nvidia's now inexplicably terrible website and find the answer. Still, having tried to use low end video cards for video playback before, there may still be issues depending on the encoding.

Ryzen 2200G is not a bad idea. What I've found says it is capable of HDR playback, though there are still some software bugs floating around. Those may have been resolved by now.

Either way, a more powerful GPU is certainly necessary.

Thanks buddy. Will go for ryzen now.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
B450 chipset, Ryzen 2200G, or 3200G/3400G if you are feeling feisty. 3rd gen will get you a lot more CPU clock speeds. You'll want some speedy low latency DDR4, something like 3000Mhz, 8GB minimum, but 16GB is probably best.

As for good, not really that important. Many of the boards with Gaming in the name typically have better VRM cooling, but for your use case I don't think it matters that much.

Most of the boards with WiFi are also pretty high end. Depends on if you want it integrated, or a separate card, of if you want wireless at all.

You may have to use the latest 3200G to do Netflix 4K HDR content. Not 100% sure on that, conflicting information out there. There may be support through the drivers. Give Ready Play 3.0 a quick search.

Otherwise you should just invest in a Intel CPU that does have its graphics chip operating. That can certainly do it.

Sep 18, 2019
B450 chipset, Ryzen 2200G, or 3200G/3400G if you are feeling feisty. 3rd gen will get you a lot more CPU clock speeds. You'll want some speedy low latency DDR4, something like 3000Mhz, 8GB minimum, but 16GB is probably best.

As for good, not really that important. Many of the boards with Gaming in the name typically have better VRM cooling, but for your use case I don't think it matters that much.

Most of the boards with WiFi are also pretty high end. Depends on if you want it integrated, or a separate card, of if you want wireless at all.

You may have to use the latest 3200G to do Netflix 4K HDR content. Not 100% sure on that, conflicting information out there. There may be support through the drivers. Give Ready Play 3.0 a quick search.

Otherwise you should just invest in a Intel CPU that does have its graphics chip operating. That can certainly do it.
Thanks a lot Exim bro. You have really been a very very helpful especially the because of elaborate reply. Now I think I would go for ryzen 3200G. For mobo i don't require wifi support at all.

If you can suggest one which works with this proc and suffice my requirement of hdr 10 support (without discrete GPU). HDR 10 support I need for downloaded contents from torrents mostly in .mkv formqt.

By the way it's nice meeting you here. I am from Mumbai India.

Once again many thanks for your kind support here

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You may need to have the BIOS updated, if so, and if you don't have access to a PC shop that can do it: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100#faq-Short-Term-Processor-Loan-Boot-Kit

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor (₹8232.00 @ Newegg India)
Motherboard: ASRock B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard (₹7744.00 @ Newegg India)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (₹8969.00 @ Amazon India)
Total: ₹24945.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-20 20:51 IST+0530

If you need an Mini-ITX or Micro ATX board:

https://in.pcpartpicker.com/product...ac-mini-itx-am4-motherboard-x370-gaming-itxac (Wireless, but that is typical of ITX boards)

https://in.pcpartpicker.com/product...-v2-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450m-pro-m2-v2

Sep 18, 2019
You may need to have the BIOS updated, if so, and if you don't have access to a PC shop that can do it: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100#faq-Short-Term-Processor-Loan-Boot-Kit

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor (₹8232.00 @ Newegg India)
Motherboard: ASRock B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard (₹7744.00 @ Newegg India)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (₹8969.00 @ Amazon India)
Total: ₹24945.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-20 20:51 IST+0530

If you need an Mini-ITX or Micro ATX board:

https://in.pcpartpicker.com/product...ac-mini-itx-am4-motherboard-x370-gaming-itxac (Wireless, but that is typical of ITX boards)

https://in.pcpartpicker.com/product...-v2-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450m-pro-m2-v2
Than for the great help. You have provided the cheapest available prices that too for India. I always thought that newegg would be costlier as it's not an official Indian e commerce site. You broke my that myth too.

Once again many thanks. Where are you from?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The US. But India is a large market and there is a lot of information out there, so it has become rather easy to make recommendations.

While Newegg is technically a US company, it has basically always been a China/Taiwan direct importer, so they have all the stuff sitting in warehouses on both sides of the world. Makes sense they would sell in India, just take a plane in the opposite direction. They've also greatly expanded in the last 10 years or so into all sorts of products besides electronics.

Sep 18, 2019
The US. But India is a large market and there is a lot of information out there, so it has become rather easy to make recommendations.

While Newegg is technically a US company, it has basically always been a China/Taiwan direct importer, so they have all the stuff sitting in warehouses on both sides of the world. Makes sense they would sell in India, just take a plane in the opposite direction. They've also greatly expanded in the last 10 years or so into all sorts of products besides electronics.
Thanks for the info. If at all you planning to visit India (especially Mumbai) do get in touch. My email is aaditya.h.shah at gmail