I want to upgrade my cpu, but don't know do i need to replace heatsink and fan?

ryanryan3030

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
I am very new to PC building and i want to replace my Asus computer AMD Athlon II x2 220 Processor to a "AMD Phenom II X4 970 Processor, Black Edition", but i don't know do i need to replace heatsink and fan.

I also want to ask if i am updating my GT 430 to sapphire AMD HD 7770 do i what power supply do i need? I was planning to buy a OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance Power Supply.

Here is some of computer parts:
CPU:AMD Athlon II x2 220 Processor
Motherboard: CM1630
RAM DDR3 x2 2GB
Graphics: GT430

satyamdubey

Distinguished
before buying the upgrade parts, take care in ensuring that your mobo will support the 970BE. you mobo's web page may say that phenom II x4 cpu's are supported but you must specifically check how much TDP and which CPU steppings are supported. For instance, a 125W TDP support mobo might support a 965 BE c3 stepping 125W cpu but not a 965 BE c2 stepping 140W cpu (yes there are several cpu's which have the same name and frequency but differ in TDP and revision/stepping).

Make sure you do not end up going through the hassle of returning the cpu and then locating one that your mobo can handle.

Upgrading to a 7770 will require you to buy a psu which has a 6-pin pcie power connector. A 500 W psu from Corsair or Seasonic or PC Power & Cooling will be good.
6pin PCIE: http://techreport.com/r.x/psus-0907/pcie-connectors.jpg
In case you can't buy a psu with a pcie 6 pin connector, you can buy a molex to pcie connector.
Molex to PCIE: http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/fengshan/______6pin___4pin.jpg

Good luck
-satyam

satyamdubey

Distinguished
your pc is essentio cm 1630. Your chip set is 760G/SB 710 it seems. The CPU support list in not directly accessible. Through some other forums, it seems only 95W TDP cpu's are supported.

dev893

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
I have the corsair CX500 PSU and it has two PCI power plugs. also if you buy a new CPU they usually come with a new heatsink and fan