I want to upgrade my rig but i don't know wich component i should upgrade first.

Nov 3, 2018
I'm planning to upgrade my pc rig soon but i don't know wich component i should upgrade first. I have a rx 480 4gb graphics card and a ryzen 5 1400 proccesor. I have 8gb ram maybe i should upgrade my ram but i don't know. If i upgraded my processor to a ryzen 7 1800x or 2700x would it increase my pc performance by a ton or only a little and i should be planning to upgrade my gpu or ram ??? i hope somebody can help me decide XD

Solution
The most cost effective route right now is the Dual memory upgrade, so another stick of 8GB RAM so that you have the memory is running in dual channel. Ryzen and memory are critical for performance. Yes the 2700X would provide a boost but not as much as say a GTX 1070 or even better a 1080 with the prices dropping on the 1080. You can even pick up a second hand one for a really good price.

When you do upgrade to something like a 2700X, fast and good quality memory is a must as Ryzen actually does make use of faster RAM like DDR4 3200 which does make a positive difference to performance.
The most cost effective route right now is the Dual memory upgrade, so another stick of 8GB RAM so that you have the memory is running in dual channel. Ryzen and memory are critical for performance. Yes the 2700X would provide a boost but not as much as say a GTX 1070 or even better a 1080 with the prices dropping on the 1080. You can even pick up a second hand one for a really good price.

When you do upgrade to something like a 2700X, fast and good quality memory is a must as Ryzen actually does make use of faster RAM like DDR4 3200 which does make a positive difference to performance.

Solution
Nov 3, 2018
So i need 16 gb ram ??? okey thanks. Yeah i was planning to upgrade my gpu first but i saw how much 1070 cost and i don't have that much money yet maybe some months later i will :D.

Ebay works very well and I have bought many good bargains from ebay. Just make sure you buy from a seller who has a high positive feedback and has sold a lot of items in the past...Ebay also provides a guarantee...Just be careful and you should be able to pick up a bargain..

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You won't see much of any performance differences in small upgrades. There's limits from other components. So an upgrade cpu is a start, but you'll not notice much since limited by 8Gb of ram and a 4Gb gpu. Or, upgrade ram will show almost no difference etc. It'll only be when you have upgraded all 3 that in comparison to what you started with will you see a large difference as now all the components are free to push their new limits, without any bottleneck from the rest.

Not to disagree with your whole point but a GPU upgrade to a 1070 or 1080 will make a more than noticeable difference, in fact a good difference over the RX480...and running dual channel over single channel especially for Ryzen will make a small difference..

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's 3 kinds of cards. Reference, consumer, enthusiast. Reference is basically the exact same thing as what amd/nvidia puts out, has the same pcb, same clocks etc. Consumer is AIB partner cards, they'll have better cooling (mostly), some have custom pcbs and a slight OC on the clocks. Msi Armor is a consumer card. Enthusiast cards are high end, best cooling, all custom pcbs, designed with high OC and high potential user OC. The Msi GamingX is an enthusiast card.

Biggest difference is price. While benchmarks will show enthusiast being better than consumer grade, it's a gimmick really. A 1070 enthusiast card might see 10fps more than a reference 1070, they still fall into the 1070 range. Even a 1070ti reference still gets better fps than a 1070 enthusiast card.

So unless you like the looks of the GamingX better, the Armor is really just as good, the 5fps or so doesn't really affect much. Most ppl don't push OC on their gpus further than any software settings, about 108% anyways, so paying extra for enthusiast grade cards is pointless for most ppl. Your decision.