[SOLVED] I want to upgrade the ram on my Asus M570DD-WB501T

Jul 22, 2021
So i have the laptop in the title, and I want to upgrade the ram from 8gb to 16. The website claims that it supports up to 16gb, so I assume it means that it is ugpradeable? no? https://www.asus.com/Laptops/For-Home/Everyday-use/ASUS-M570/techspec/ .
Now, is there a way to find out what model and brand the RAM already in it is, without taking it apart? So that I can look for the exact same one and add it. If not then I guess I will have to get another pair of 8s. Also, from what i've read the cpu (ryzen 5 3500u) supports up to 2400mhz https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-5-3500u , which is the speed the current ram is already running at. However, since there is no XMP or any other kind of setting in the bios that controls the ram speed, If i get another pair of 8s 2400mhz and install them, will they be running at that speed automatically? Or will they be halved leaving me with no way to increase it?
If anyone is able to shed some light i'd be grateful.

Solution
You're probably going to have to open the cover up and look. Their official page says max 16gb, not the 32gb I saw listed. It also shows 2x DDR4 SO-DIMM slots, but also says "includes used" but doesn't give specifics on how many are used. Upgrading to a matched pair in dual channel might be worth doing if it does have just 1 8gb module.

If you're lucky you might get 5fps increase from dual channel(if it's running single) and another 5fps from 16gb upgrade in games.
Quick search showed what I was already thinking, it already has both slots filled(running dual channel) and can be upgraded to 32gb. You'll need a matched pair of 8gb modules at 2400mhz or higher and it should run at 2400mhz automatically.

That being said, with a GTX 1050 I doubt you would gain any performance from the upgrade.

Jul 22, 2021
Quick search showed what I was already thinking, it already has both slots filled(running dual channel) and can be upgraded to 32gb. You'll need a matched pair of 8gb modules at 2400mhz or higher and it should run at 2400mhz automatically.

That being said, with a GTX 1050 I doubt you would gain any performance from the upgrade.
Both slots filled with dual channel? But all programs i've used so far claim it's single and only one slot is used, including the task manager. (others i've used are speccy and CPU-Z

You're probably going to have to open the cover up and look. Their official page says max 16gb, not the 32gb I saw listed. It also shows 2x DDR4 SO-DIMM slots, but also says "includes used" but doesn't give specifics on how many are used. Upgrading to a matched pair in dual channel might be worth doing if it does have just 1 8gb module.

If you're lucky you might get 5fps increase from dual channel(if it's running single) and another 5fps from 16gb upgrade in games.

Solution
Hold up, video shows you have to remove the display and motherboard to get to the ram slots on most of those Asus laptops, not just removing a ram cover. I wouldn't bother digging that far into it and risking it unless you 100% are sure of what you are doing for such a small performance upgrade.