Question I want to upgrade to GTX 1050 ti or 1060. Pls read my PC config below and advice

Abraham Lincoln

Prominent
May 29, 2019
Here is my current PC config:
CPU- i5 2320,
GPU- GTX GeForce 210,
Motherboard- intel DH67CL (it has PCIE x16 2.0)
RAM- 4gb
PSU- RS 500 PCAR D3
Running Windows 10

I want to change my GPU to Nvidia GTX 1050ti or 1060. Plus I want to bump up my RAM by adding 8gb.
But I'm not sure whether the new GPU will be compatible with my old motherboard and CPU.
And even if it is compatible then will it cause bottleneck?
Will it handle the new GPU? Or cause any issues like overheating?
I also want to know if games like pubg can run on 50+fps if I upgrade?
Please advise 🙏

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
GT210 is barely a video card. So pretty much anything will be an improvement. Nvidia GPUs aren't usually worth buying until you get the x30 series, and even then they are overpriced. x40 and any of the GTX cards is where a discrete card makes sense.

It should work. But it might not, so make sure whatever you buy can be easily returned. This is the difference between BIOS and UEFI BIOS. Some of the latest cards have trouble with older boards. Usually though, when you already have an OS installed, it will work well enough.

AMD's RX cards seem to be more backwards compatible, so if nothing else look at RX550 is a potential option.

Don't worry about bottlenecks when adding an new GPU to a old system. There is a minimum you should spend on a GPU and the GTX1050Ti is about right. You might also look at the GTX1650.

Those cards can be carried forward when you get around to upgrading the CPU/Motherboard/RAM.

Hmm, not 100% on PUBG. It will run, but I don't know about 50FPS. I suggest entering your CPU or the i5-2400 into youtube for Pubg and see if anyone else has done it.

Reactions: Abraham Lincoln

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
25-45 fps, depending on the in-game situation, is most likely with a 1050 Ti. Anything stronger is likely wasted as the i5-2320 is significantly slower than the 2500k and 4 GB of RAM is rather anemic. The other reason to not go 1060 is the power supply is not something I'd use with a GPU that requires supplementary power; those old budget Cooler Masters tended to be poorly made and at this point, it's also ancient, both chronologically and in design. The 4 GB of RAM will also limit you at times and you may slow down to a crawl when there's a lot of information for the CPU to deal with.

Honestly, you're probably looking at a larger overhaul if you want a good experience in these types of games. There doesn't appear to be any component in your PC newer than late 2011 and that's a long time to go without an upgrade to a budget system if you want to upgrade gradually.

Abraham Lincoln

Prominent
May 29, 2019
GT210 is barely a video card. So pretty much anything will be an improvement. Nvidia GPUs aren't usually worth buying until you get the x30 series, and even then they are overpriced. x40 and any of the GTX cards is where a discrete card makes sense.

It should work. But it might not, so make sure whatever you buy can be easily returned. This is the difference between BIOS and UEFI BIOS. Some of the latest cards have trouble with older boards. Usually though, when you already have an OS installed, it will work well enough.

AMD's RX cards seem to be more backwards compatible, so if nothing else look at RX550 is a potential option.

Don't worry about bottlenecks when adding an new GPU to a old system. There is a minimum you should spend on a GPU and the GTX1050Ti is about right. You might also look at the GTX1650.

Those cards can be carried forward when you get around to upgrading the CPU/Motherboard/RAM.

Hmm, not 100% on PUBG. It will run, but I don't know about 50FPS. I suggest entering your CPU or the i5-2400 into youtube for Pubg and see if anyone else has done it.
[/QUOTE
25-45 fps, depending on the in-game situation, is most likely with a 1050 Ti. Anything stronger is likely wasted as the i5-2320 is significantly slower than the 2500k and 4 GB of RAM is rather anemic. The other reason to not go 1060 is the power supply is not something I'd use with a GPU that requires supplementary power; those old budget Cooler Masters tended to be poorly made and at this point, it's also ancient, both chronologically and in design. The 4 GB of RAM will also limit you at times and you may slow down to a crawl when there's a lot of information for the CPU to deal with.

Honestly, you're probably looking at a larger overhaul if you want a good experience in these types of games. There doesn't appear to be any component in your PC newer than late 2011 and that's a long time to go without an upgrade to a budget system if you want to upgrade gradually.
Yes I know, it's an old system which was mostly used for browsing the web.
I will add extra ram probably 8gb ddr3.
And the PSU, it says that mine is a 500w plus it also has a 6pin connector cable which is not connected to anything right now. So I guess I could plug it in to the new GPU if it needs additional power right?

Abraham Lincoln

Prominent
May 29, 2019

Hmm, not 100% on PUBG. It will rukn, but I don't know about 50FPS. I suggest entering your CPU or the i5-2400 into youtube for Pubg and see if anyone else has done it.
I thought about the RX 570 it's a bit costlier than the 1050 ti 4gb and the GTX 1060 3gb mini is of the same price as the 1050 ti so thought it was a better option.
And the RX 580 is way too expensive in my country.
I saw some vids on YT
This guy has i5 2310, GTX 1060 3gb, 8gb ddr3 and dh67vr motherboard.
The games seems to run pretty smoothly,
Battlefield 1 on high 1080p settings he got around 85 fps

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yes I know, it's an old system which was mostly used for browsing the web.
I will add extra ram probably 8gb ddr3.
And the PSU, it says that mine is a 500w plus it also has a 6pin connector cable which is not connected to anything right now. So I guess I could plug it in to the new GPU if it needs additional power right?

Sure, you can do that. But like many things, just because you can do something doesn't make it a good idea. It's both a fairly low quality PSU and a very old PSU and I would not stress it or trust it with no equipment. If you want to risk new components you pay for in order to not upgrade a decade-old, mediocre PSU, you're free to assume that risk, but the risk is there.

Abraham Lincoln

Prominent
May 29, 2019
Yeah, your right the risk is there. I thought of buying and trying it out and if it didn't work out that I would upgrade the entire thing for newer components. And I don't want to take that risk. So better upgrade them to a more newer model than risking it.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, your right the risk is there. I thought of buying and trying it out and if it didn't work out that I would upgrade the entire thing for newer components. And I don't want to take that risk. So better upgrade them to a more newer model than risking it.

Definitely what I would recommend. Power supplies aren't as fun as other parts, but investing in a decent one is like car insurance for your PC. I always have about four or five PCs running in my office and I've been a resource for colleagues in my industry for a long time and I'll always recommend a power supply of at least average-budget in each of them. Nobody really wants to spend time replacing broken parts and even if a power supply doesn't cause a problem, many problems, you'll at least suspect that the power supply could be the problem and that means time and energy and money spent swapping out for another PSU and nobody wants to do that!

Thinking about for how long that PSU has been running strong with no hiccups, I'd trust it a bit more. After all this time, with no apparent issues, it would be really strange that it* craps out when you plug a GPU that doesn't consume a whole lot either.

Anything below 1060 6GB power consumption I'd classify as safe.

Cheers!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Radeon Rx cards do not work on Intel legacy bios, not that I've ever heard of. For Legacy compatability the best cards are R5-R9 series or for nvidia anything upto the 700's except the 750/750ti which is a Maxwell gpu, as is the 900+ series. Pretty much any gpu that does not have a VGA port in back will not be legacy bios compatible as a general rule.

The 750/750ti had the biggest issues with hit or miss when working on legacy bios, Maxwell was the first gpu to take advantage of UEFI bios, basically a Guinea pig. Evga had by far the best success there, followed by MSI, then Asus and Gigabyte, but most other vendors success was somewhat disappointing as they didn't use custom bios or pcb, just bumped nvidia factory clocks.

I'd not use anything stronger than a gtx1050ti with that cpu, it's not worth it. The 1060 is the better card for sure, but most of its ability will be wasted as the cpu won't pre-render enough frames to challenge the gpu.

50fps at medium or high or ultra on a 1050ti is exactly the same as 50fps at medium or high or ultra with a 1060, so why pay more.

You can't bottleneck a cpu. A cpu pre-renders the frames, sets the limit, it is what it is. If it's 50fps or 350fps, that's what gets sent to the gpu. It's the gpu job to render that data and stick it up on the screen. A weak gpu might put up only 30fps out of the 50 sent by the cpu, that's a gpu bottleneck at ultra, lower the details to medium and you'll get all 50. If the gpu is strong enough to screen all 50 at ultra, it'll screen all 50 at any detail setting, it can't increase fps, the cpu only gives it so many. That's not a bottleneck, that's just an over powered gpu not being fully utilized. Which can change easily from game to game. Some games with massive physX partial count like explosions, fireballs etc will be more demanding on a gpu than the Sims.

Last edited:

Abraham Lincoln

Prominent
May 29, 2019
Radeon Rx cards do not work on Intel legacy bios, not that I've ever heard of. For Legacy compatability the best cards are R5-R9 series or for nvidia anything upto the 700's except the 750/750ti which is a Maxwell gpu, as is the 900+ series. Pretty much any gpu that does not have a VGA port in back will not be legacy bios compatible as a general rule.

The 750/750ti had the biggest issues with hit or miss when working on legacy bios, Maxwell was the first gpu to take advantage of UEFI bios, basically a Guinea pig. Evga had by far the best success there, followed by MSI, then Asus and Gigabyte, but most other vendors success was somewhat disappointing as they didn't use custom bios or pcb, just bumped nvidia factory clocks.

I'd not use anything stronger than a gtx1050ti with that cpu, it's not worth it. The 1060 is the better card for sure, but most of its ability will be wasted as the cpu won't pre-render enough frames to challenge the gpu.

50fps at medium or high or ultra on a 1050ti is exactly the same as 50fps at medium or high or ultra with a 1060, so why pay more.

You can't bottleneck a cpu. A cpu pre-renders the frames, sets the limit, it is what it is. If it's 50fps or 350fps, that's what gets sent to the gpu. It's the gpu job to render that data and stick it up on the screen. A weak gpu might put up only 30fps out of the 50 sent by the cpu, that's a gpu bottleneck at ultra, lower the details to medium and you'll get all 50. If the gpu is strong enough to screen all 50 at ultra, it'll screen all 50 at any detail setting, it can't increase fps, the cpu only gives it so many. That's not a bottleneck, that's just an over powered gpu not being fully utilized. Which can change easily from game to game. Some games with massive physX partial count like explosions, fireballs etc will be more demanding on a gpu than the Sims.
Thank you for your info on legacy BIOS and UEFI. I didn't know anything about that.
You are right about the VGA port, till the GTx 750 some company or the other has implemented a VGA port. So they must be suitable for legacy BIOS.
Damn, I wanted to get the 1050 ti. I don't want to go any lower than that cause in the future if I upgrade I could just use the same card.
Is there any way I could update my motherboard's BIOS? To make it suitable for the GTX 10 series?
Some companies have some kind of a switch to make it work between legacy BIOS and UEFI. but I suppose the 1050 ti won't be having that.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If you really want to get the 1050ti, it's not going to hurt to try it. There's multiple posts online with ppl not having issues with compatability, almost as many as do. I'd try and stick to Evga, just because they've had the best success, they use custom written vbios in their gpus, so may include a legacy compatible version. They also have the industries absolute best service and support staff, I've dealt with them for years and they'll bend over backwards to make you happy.

Evga had a physical switch on the 750ti, but not after that, so my best guess would be that was corrected and made automatic detection afterwards.