I want to upgrage to a 240GB SSD while still using an HDD how do I do this?

Thr33s

Prominent
Jul 27, 2017
My boot time and time opening tabs are really slow so I looked into it and it looks like getting an SSD is the best solution for me, so I plan on getting this SSD:

https://www.ivory.co.il/catalog.php?id=14483

I checked and I have a 2.5" Drive bay so I got that figured out.

But I don't know what to do once I mount the SSD and how to move Windows from the HDD to the SSD and all that business.

Solution
Do a clean install on SSD or try OS migrating tool. If the Kingston you purchased has data migration tool, it would be easy. There are something else you may need to pay attention to. First, after OS migration, you need to either remove previous HDD or change boot priority to SSD in BIOS to see if you can successfully boot from new disk. My suggestion is to remove old HDD. Second, the previous system file still exists on old HDD, to use it as a secondary, you may need to format system drive without Windows environment, say WinPE. Make sure the new SSD works great before formatting old system drive. Regards.
Is it a PC or laptop?

Backup your data to an external drive before doing anything

use a "migration tool" like Acronis® True Image, which is included with the purchase of the Kingston SSD, to clone the HDD system to the SSD.
eventually you will have to set the alignment correctly after it, but that can be done after the SSD works.

Imoven

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017
Do a clean install on SSD or try OS migrating tool. If the Kingston you purchased has data migration tool, it would be easy. There are something else you may need to pay attention to. First, after OS migration, you need to either remove previous HDD or change boot priority to SSD in BIOS to see if you can successfully boot from new disk. My suggestion is to remove old HDD. Second, the previous system file still exists on old HDD, to use it as a secondary, you may need to format system drive without Windows environment, say WinPE. Make sure the new SSD works great before formatting old system drive. Regards.

Solution
The information provided you by Imoven is basically sound, however, let me "flesh out" a few things, OK?...

1. You haven't indicated the type of PC you're working with. It would be useful to learn whether its a desktop PC or a laptop/notebook.

2. Since you obviously plan to create your SSD as the new boot drive in your system, you have basically one of two choices...
A. you can fresh-install the OS onto the SSD and thereafter utilize your HDD as a secondary drive in the system. (I'm assuming a desktop machine so that you can internally-install the HDD in the PC case.), or...
B. you can clone the contents of your HDD to the SSD.

3. Should you decide on a disk-cloning operation there are three criteria that must be met...
A. The present boot drive boots & functions without problems.
B. The "destination" drive, i.e., your SSD, is non-defective
C. The disk-space capacity of the destination drive, i.e., the recipient of the cloned contents of the "source" disk is sufficient to contain those contents. So as long as the total contents of your HDD is not more than about 215 GB you could go ahead with the disk-cloning operation should you choose to.

4. In any event, if you decide to fresh-install the OS onto the SSD it's highly recommended (although not necessarily mandatory) that the SSD be SOLE drive installed at the time of the OS installation process.

5. And if you decide to pursue a disk-cloning operation with, of course, both drives being conneted during that operation, it is again highly recommended that IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING a successful disk-cloning operation, you temporarily disconnect or uninstall the HDD source drive from the system and boot ONLY with the SSD connected. Capiche?

Assuming all is well with the SSD booting & functioning without problems, then you can reconnect the HDD as a secondary drive.

If practical, it's always preferable that the boot drive be connected to the motherboard's FIRST SATA data/port (usually designated SATA 0 or SATA 1).