[SOLVED] I would be so grateful for advice

Sep 27, 2020
Hi all,

Total newbie here. I'm building a gaming PC for the first time. I have owned gaming PCs before but usually pay a company to build it for me. After the last time was a horrible experience I decided to learn and do it myself.

I have read the mobo manual for my Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero, and I think I understand it, but without ever having any prior build experience, I'm pretty ignorant and I'm just not sure what my storage options are and what would be best...

I'm looking at putting 2 NVME m.2 drives in my PC as well as a 2tb ssd (2.5" sata). Will my build support this without any major drawbacks?

According to the manual, when m.2_1 is populated I lose 1 sata port (I think my board has 6). Also the manual states when m.2_2 is populated, then PCIEX16_3 is disabled. Well I don't currently have any plans for using anything that needs a pci slot other than a 3080 GPU...so i only need the top pciex16_1 slot right?

My goal is to have both m.2_1 & m.2_2 populated with a samsung 970 pro and a samsung 970 evo, respectively. The 970 Pro would be my boot drive (and any other mobo software/drivers/rgb apps), the 970 Evo nvme would be for demanding games or games I want to load faster. Finally, I wanted to add a 3rd storage option; a 2tb samsung 870 ssd 2.5" for other games and files and whatever garbage.

Can all 3 of these be done without losing any lanes on my GPU or any other negative effects? From what I understand, m.2_2 just disables 3rd pci slot but i have no clue if that would affect the gpu. Also worried if having 2 NVMEs would increase my heat generation substantially?

Lastly, if this storage setup is fine, should I also configure the NVMEs in Raid 0 or no raid? I understand very little about NVME and this will be my first ones I've had in a build.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Sorry for any ignorance. It's alot to learn!

(I have all parts except GPU and storage 2&3)
Complete Specs;

i9-10850k
Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero
Kraken NZXT Z73 aio
64gb memory @3600 (Trident Z Royal)
EVGA Supernova 1,000w p2 platinum
PNY 3080 (hopefully, if it ships!)

Case & Cooling
Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic
Corsair QL120mm fans (x9) w/ commander pro

Sorry if the formatting is weird, I'm on my phone

Solution
Hi all,

Total newbie here. I'm building a gaming PC for the first time. I have owned gaming PCs before but usually pay a company to build it for me. After the last time was a horrible experience I decided to learn and do it myself.

I have read the mobo manual for my Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero, and I think I understand it, but without ever having any prior build experience, I'm pretty ignorant and I'm just not sure what my storage options are and what would be best...

I'm looking at putting 2 NVME m.2 drives in my PC as well as a 2tb ssd (2.5" sata). Will my build support this without any major drawbacks?

According to the manual, when m.2_1 is populated I lose 1 sata port (I think my board has 6). Also the manual states when m.2_2...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi all,

According to the manual, when m.2_1 is populated I lose 1 sata port (I think my board has 6). Also the manual states when m.2_2 is populated, then PCIEX16_3 is disabled. Well I don't currently have any plans for using anything that needs a pci slot other than a 3080 GPU...so i only need the top pciex16_1 slot right?

My goal is to have both m.2_1 & m.2_2 populated with a samsung 970 pro and a samsung 970 evo, respectively. The 970 Pro would be my boot drive (and any other mobo software/drivers/rgb apps), the 970 Evo nvme would be for demanding games or games I want to load faster. Finally, I wanted to add a 3rd storage option; a 2tb samsung 870 ssd 2.5" for other games and files and whatever garbage.

Can all 3 of these be done without losing any lanes on my GPU or any other negative effects? From what I understand, m.2_2 just disables 3rd pci slot but i have no clue if that would affect the gpu. Also worried if having 2 NVMEs would increase my heat generation substantially?

Lastly, if this storage setup is fine, should I also configure the NVMEs in Raid 0 or no raid? I understand very little about NVME and this will be my first ones I've had in a build.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Sorry for any ignorance. It's alot to learn!

(I have all parts except GPU and storage 2&3)
Complete Specs;

i9-10850k
Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero
Kraken NZXT Z73 aio
64gb memory @3600 (Trident Z Royal)
EVGA Supernova 1,000w p2 platinum
PNY 3080 (hopefully, if it ships!)

Case & Cooling
Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic
Corsair QL120mm fans (x9) w/ commander pro

Sorry if the formatting is weird, I'm on my phone
Their really no reason to have a expensive NVME drive for games a regular SSD is almost just as fast.

If I was buying new drives. Same NVME drive I use.

Absolutely no reason to RAID.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3AMz-xZ2VM

EDIT 32GB of memory would of been more than you would ever need for gaming at least for the life of the PC.

Last edited:
Solution
Sep 27, 2020
Good! I keep hearing RAID and idk what it's good for aside from speeding up HDDs at the cost of redundancy or visa versa. Thanks for the help guys.

So I'm better off with just getting 2.5" SATA ssds for gaming storage then? My buddy gave me a brand new 970 Pro 1tb nvme so I wasn't sure what my best options were to go along with that