Question i3 13100 with a 3060 12GB or different CPU?

Gamefreaknet

Commendable
Mar 29, 2022
Basically the title...
Considering how cheap the 13100 is it's hard to find recent CPU's (from Alder and Raptor Lake) that provide similar performance for the similar price tag. However would I benefit by rather going for something like an i5 11600kf, 10600kf, i5 12400f or something else for the 3060 12GB (not 3060ti)
Note: I am trying to keep the build price as close to £1000 as possible.
Custom monitor Link
The 4TB M.2. is for futureproofing rather than swapping out smaller capacity drives later on.

Personally I would do it like this with that budget because of various reasons. You need to get a quality PSU. What is the point in spending a 1000 when you get a cheap PSU that can destroy everything the instant something goes wrong. The PSU I included should be the minimum type of quality. It seems like you wanted ARGB so I included that in all of my changes.

The CPU cooler I chose is better quality and performance for a bit more. I also added in a better motherboard with better VRMs and VRM heatsinks that also has more features. I chose a Corsair RAM kit with a better warranty, RGB (IMO), and more performance. I reduced the size of the M.2 storage by half to account for some of the slightly more expensive, but none-the-less, better quality or performing options. The Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB is a solid NVMe SSD and you cannot beat that price. If and when you need more storage, get it later when you can afford it.

I also swapped the case over to the much nicer and higher quality Fractal Design Focus 2 that comes with decent ARGB fans and much better airflow, and likely acoustics. Lastly, the monitor I included is can be used with G-sync to reduce stutters and frame tearing as well as being just a bit better than the Philips Momentum.

As far as the question in the title goes, I would say that the 13100/f is a great option for budget builds for gaming and there is no need to get any of the mentioned options except maybe the 12400f/13400f for CPU intensive games and multitasking, but the budget simply does not allow that without lowing the quality or performance of everything else to an unacceptable level.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-13100F 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor (£103.74 @ Box Limited)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AG400 BK ARGB 75.89 CFM CPU Cooler (£32.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B760M GAMING X DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (£116.60 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (£89.42 @ Box Limited)
Storage: Solidigm P41 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£77.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: Asus Dual GeForce RTX 3060 V2 OC Edition GeForce RTX 3060 12GB 12 GB Video Card (£275.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Focus 2 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case (£70.97 @ Box Limited)
Power Supply: Antec NeoECO Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£89.97 @ Box Limited)
Monitor: MSI Optix G251F 24.5" 1920 x 1080 165 Hz Monitor (£192.63 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1050.30
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-06-06 19:15 BST+0100

Anon#1234

Proper
May 30, 2023
Personally I would do it like this with that budget because of various reasons. You need to get a quality PSU. What is the point in spending a 1000 when you get a cheap PSU that can destroy everything the instant something goes wrong. The PSU I included should be the minimum type of quality. It seems like you wanted ARGB so I included that in all of my changes.

The CPU cooler I chose is better quality and performance for a bit more. I also added in a better motherboard with better VRMs and VRM heatsinks that also has more features. I chose a Corsair RAM kit with a better warranty, RGB (IMO), and more performance. I reduced the size of the M.2 storage by half to account for some of the slightly more expensive, but none-the-less, better quality or performing options. The Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB is a solid NVMe SSD and you cannot beat that price. If and when you need more storage, get it later when you can afford it.

I also swapped the case over to the much nicer and higher quality Fractal Design Focus 2 that comes with decent ARGB fans and much better airflow, and likely acoustics. Lastly, the monitor I included is can be used with G-sync to reduce stutters and frame tearing as well as being just a bit better than the Philips Momentum.

As far as the question in the title goes, I would say that the 13100/f is a great option for budget builds for gaming and there is no need to get any of the mentioned options except maybe the 12400f/13400f for CPU intensive games and multitasking, but the budget simply does not allow that without lowing the quality or performance of everything else to an unacceptable level.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-13100F 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor (£103.74 @ Box Limited)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AG400 BK ARGB 75.89 CFM CPU Cooler (£32.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B760M GAMING X DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (£116.60 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (£89.42 @ Box Limited)
Storage: Solidigm P41 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£77.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: Asus Dual GeForce RTX 3060 V2 OC Edition GeForce RTX 3060 12GB 12 GB Video Card (£275.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Focus 2 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case (£70.97 @ Box Limited)
Power Supply: Antec NeoECO Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£89.97 @ Box Limited)
Monitor: MSI Optix G251F 24.5" 1920 x 1080 165 Hz Monitor (£192.63 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1050.30
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-06-06 19:15 BST+0100
@helper800 I wouldnt go with the rgb ram, since its using an air cooler.

This should work, its in usd though, https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ysBZk9
@helper800 I wouldnt go with the rgb ram, since its using an air cooler.
The RGB from the RAM will not be blocked by the CPU cooler because its not a dual tower cooler. Your build not being from UK links is decidedly useless. There are also some issues with it, but ill refrain from mentioning them because of the first point.

On a side note I have seen you around a bit here and there an noticed you were newer to the forums. I'd just like to say welcome, everyone always appreciates more help in the systems and build sections. We may not always agree with the exact part lists provided as advice, however, try not to take it as an insult or anything more than just simple disagreement and you will find yourself helping and enjoying the forums more.

Reactions: Anon#1234

Anon#1234

Proper
May 30, 2023
The RGB from the RAM will not be blocked by the CPU cooler because its not a dual tower cooler. Your build not being from UK links is decidedly useless. There are also some issues with it, but ill refrain from mentioning them because of the first point.

On a side note I have seen you around a bit here and there an noticed you were newer to the forums. I'd just like to say welcome, everyone always appreciates more help in the systems and build sections. We may not always agree with the exact part lists provided as advice, however, try not to take it as an insult or anything more than just simple disagreement and you will find yourself helping and enjoying the forums more.
None taken though I would still go for lower clearance ram :)

Reactions: helper800

TRENDING THREADS