[SOLVED] I3 540 Igpu Is it any Good?

Wouwou

Commendable
Aug 5, 2020
I have a i3 540 with a 2gb ram and still wondering if i3 540's Igpu could run any games
(Like WarthunderWorld of tanks and other non triple a titles,
low-high settings)

Cpu:I3-540
Gpu:Hd i3 540?ish
Ram:DDR 3 1333hz/ 2Gb
Motherboard: HP lona n1996
Psu:500W Generic
HDD:1Tb ezex WD Blue

If You have tried it Please let me know your experience with it :)

Solution
If it's a pre-built like Dell or HP etc, then no, the Xeon won't be recognised. You may even run into issues with upgrades in the icore series. Those companies had bios written to specifically exclude most cpus, and in the next model up included some more.

This is where knowing the exact info about the motherboard is important.
This is absolutely incorrect. I own Dells running xeons that were never originally supported and 'just worked'. And because they generally don't do motherboard changes or specifications between models, you just need your system model number and the motherboard info is almost irrelevant.
The iGPU of i3-540 has:
  • Shader Model 4
  • DirectX 10.1
  • OpenGL 2.1
  • (OpenCL not supported).
  • Max. memory it can allocate is most likely no more than 1 GB of the system memory, 733 MHz. Mb this depends on the motherboard, but 1 GB is most likely the max it can dedicate. It'll be slower than Nvidia's GT cards anyway.

Take a look in
https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri
and see the minimum requirements of the games you want to play. It's clear your settings this way 'd be ~480-600p low/medium, it is difficult to play 720-1080p this way. You need at least 30 fps. Even games you mention work better with some GT card from Nvidia.

As for the ram, it isn't that much the speed of the memory being a problem here, it is more the quantity. Low- and mid-end games nowadays need 4 to 8 GB ram 1333 MHz.

A 240/256 GB ssd can also make your life a bit easier, though not directly the gaming FPS, but loading times, saving times, downloads, etc.

Reactions: Wouwou

Wouwou

Commendable
Aug 5, 2020
Yikes.. The Gpu really sucks then and for ram I'll try to upgrade it not based on speeds/hz only, and the ssd I'll think of it in the future, And for the gpu.. Going to ask a friend if he still has a gt 630, Thanks alot :)

Wouwou

Commendable
Aug 5, 2020
Probably right on the gt/Gtx/Rtx part, It's not a preferable gaming piece but it is cheap and I agree with the 1030 difference between the gt 630 and gt/gtx 1030 is way different so I'll think of trying to get a gt 1030 (gddr5) or even better.

But for now I'll stick to a gt 630, And The 2 Cores yes it's four but still it shares Cores anyways Thanks for replying :)
A funny word, I hear it more if it 's talked about GTX/RTX. The 1030 is just a GT (if getting 1030, prefer one with GDDR5, not ddr4 memory).

Two physical cores, yes. But still it's 4 logical ones (threads).

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If it's a pre-built like Dell or HP etc, then no, the Xeon won't be recognised. You may even run into issues with upgrades in the icore series. Those companies had bios written to specifically exclude most cpus, and in the next model up included some more.

Wouwou

Commendable
Aug 5, 2020
I see It's an oem Motherboard From HP Called Lona n1996 And I guess from the specifications It doesn't support xeon processor's, Was really hoping for a Xeon x34xx processor It is cheap and faster
than a
I7 8xx
Thanks Really needed to know that.

This is absolutely incorrect. I own Dells running xeons that were never originally supported and 'just worked'. And because they generally don't do motherboard changes or specifications between models, you just need your system model number and the motherboard info is almost irrelevant.

Solution
Found a official website with a result that xeon x3470 works with the motherboard
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskt...-an-HP-P6534-with-a-MS-7613-IONA/td-p/5603746

Probably a good upgrade but I'll bear in mind that it might burn my whole pc 😂
I'll post it in another thread Called: Lona ms7613 Does it support a xeon processor

Thanks for Replying
Good homework! Do a search on your HP model number and x3480 and you'll probably find the answer. Generally, the higher cpus in a series will also work as long as there aren't any fundamental differences in architecture or tdp. The only thing you'll have to make sure is that you have enough cooling because if you have a low tdp heatsink, you'll need to get the high tdp one as HP and Dell will make two different heatsinks. But it's a cheap upgrade, usually <$10 shipped on ebay for a genuine used part. :) And you can sometimes get by with just setting the cpu fan to 100% if the noise doesn't bother you--it's actually what I usually do.

Wouwou

Commendable
Aug 5, 2020
Good homework! Do a search on your HP model number and x3480 and you'll probably find the answer. Generally, the higher cpus in a series will also work as long as there aren't any fundamental differences in architecture or tdp. The only thing you'll have to make sure is that you have enough cooling because if you have a low tdp heatsink, you'll need to get the high tdp one as HP and Dell will make two different heatsinks. But it's a cheap upgrade, usually <$10 shipped on ebay for a genuine used part. :) And you can sometimes get by with just setting the cpu fan to 100% if the noise doesn't bother you--it's actually what I usually do.

Well I have a i3 540 that runs 50-55 c On Max load and It's tdp is 75w,
I've Check also the architecture Of the x3470 it's almost identical to the i7 875k Almost like it's Rebranded (Lynnfield) I'll find a Good deal either ebay or other local online stores, And If I Got enough dough I'll Inform this thread or the other thread(If I make one)
Thanks for the information!
:)

Edit:For now I'll stick to a i3 540 Because of ram upgrade and I know my ram speeds don't worry thread! :)

Another edit: And the version of the ram that my mother board supports which is a pc3 10600u/1333hz and maxed capacity of 4 gb each Slots(4Slots in the mb)
Thanks and Have a good day :)

No, you need to know your HP model number and search that way. It doesn't matter what any of the other stuff is because you're entering new territory if you're just going off the specs, etc.

The x3480 does seem to be similar enough to the other i7s from that era, but you will probably need a bigger cooler unless HP just used one model cooler for the line:

You can search hp.partsurfer.com to find a list of all the parts for your system using the system model number. Check to see if there was more than one hsf for the system and then search for pictures of the part numbers and see if one looks thicker. If so, you'll need that one.

If you can afford it, I would load up on 16gb of ram as it's generally pretty cheap, even new:
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...-Channel-DDR3-Memory-Kit/p/CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B

Wouwou

Commendable
Aug 5, 2020
I see... I've already picked the ram which is only locked for intel Which is cheaper but! Will not work on AMD boards but I am not going to upgrade my mb For now so I picked that and the cooler I think a cooler master 212 is good but! I am not upgrading for now XD For now it's ram.. just wanted to know if i3 540 is still good and it's upgradability to a xeon processor

Still!
No, you need to know your HP model number and search that way. It doesn't matter what any of the other stuff is because you're entering new territory if you're just going off the specs, etc.

The x3480 does seem to be similar enough to the other i7s from that era, but you will probably need a bigger cooler unless HP just used one model cooler for the line:

You can search hp.partsurfer.com to find a list of all the parts for your system using the system model number. Check to see if there was more than one hsf for the system and then search for pictures of the part numbers and see if one looks thicker. If so, you'll need that one.

If you can afford it, I would load up on 16gb of ram as it's generally pretty cheap, even new:
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/High-Performance-Memory/Vengeance®-—-16GB-Dual-Quad-Channel-DDR3-Memory-Kit/p/CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B

thanks for Replying :)