i3-540 vs FX-6300(with caveats)?

megamanxtreme

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Hello, everyone.
I want to get an upcoming Zen APU desktop and I was thinking of comparing 2 desktops.
My brother has my older desktop with an i3-540 while I am currently using the FX-6300 desktop.
When I get the APU build, I am giving my brother my FX-6300 and the i3 desktop to a friend, but my brother is priority and will get the better of the 2, so which processor is better for gaming?

Caveat:
I managed to disable TurboCore and clocked it to 3.8Ghz no problems, but when I replaced the HDD with an SSD, the PC bluescreens when I go to 3.8Ghz, only allowing me a max of 3.7Ghz.(Using my system usually shows gains to 3.6Ghz(Even with everything on Auto, both Base and Turbo clocks), so I keep it 3.6Ghz rather than 3.7Ghz. Merely it's to be on the safe side.)

Solution
FX-6300 is better for gaming.

But... be careful about buying any APU for gaming.

You buy a APU for the excellent integrated graphics.
But, there are no real good upgrades, particularly for a gamer.
If you install a superior discrete graphics card, you will have thrown away the big advantage of the APU.
Then, you are left with a relatively weak cpu. Most games depend on only a few fast cores.
The possible upgrades are to more cores, but few games will use more than 2-3 cores so 6+ cores are not very helpful.
Bottom line.....
What you get with a APU is what you will live with forever.

ZEN price, performance, and availability is still unknown.

If your current pc is doing the job, keep it.
If it is not, do your upgrade now.
If you wait...
FX-6300 is better for gaming.

But... be careful about buying any APU for gaming.

You buy a APU for the excellent integrated graphics.
But, there are no real good upgrades, particularly for a gamer.
If you install a superior discrete graphics card, you will have thrown away the big advantage of the APU.
Then, you are left with a relatively weak cpu. Most games depend on only a few fast cores.
The possible upgrades are to more cores, but few games will use more than 2-3 cores so 6+ cores are not very helpful.
Bottom line.....
What you get with a APU is what you will live with forever.

ZEN price, performance, and availability is still unknown.

If your current pc is doing the job, keep it.
If it is not, do your upgrade now.
If you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever.

Solution

neblogai

Distinguished

Situation is changing rapidly with DX12- games are now starting to use more than 4 cores. Check Battlefield1 DX11 vs DX12 tests- in DX12 FX6300 competes in speed directly with i3 6100, and FX8350- with i5 6600, while being much cheaper.
However, regarding the Zen APU: it is way too early to plan anything. Zen APUs will be realesed later than CPUs, probably summer-autumn 2017, which is a year from now. Maybe you meant you will be buying Zen CPU?

megamanxtreme

Distinguished
May 2, 2013

Thanks for the input.

Off-topic(Not up for discussion):
I want to upgrade to the Zen for system performance, and application performance, I hope notable 40% IPC compared to the FX-6300.
Multitasking mostly on the PC and the GPU to push the quality with MAD VR on videos.
The only games I play is old games that won't stress the GPU: Oblivion, Witcher 2, and Fallout NV, maybe Skyrim.
I rather have all in one neat package than to have another component in my system, maybe when I upgrade in the future I'll add a discreet GPU and give it to my brother and get Gray Hawk APU in 2019.

Oblivion does 30s - 40s on Ultra and 1080p(A10-7850K), so the Zen APU might push it to 60 and might let me do some texture mods. If not, I can make a new build with Gray Hawk for the texture mods.
I'll consider a Zen CPU and discreet GPU combo when APU tries and fails, but if it is acceptable, at least the APU will have good IPC compared to the FX-6300 for games said above plus system performance.

As for system performance, must be SATA III 3G limitation, I'll get a 6G or NVMe. It's not a faulty 850 EVO but I know how to choke the system, mainly the web browser does the job. The processor could also have a play in this.
Need to add that I'm anti-Intel, since I know someone will mention it.

sarwar_r87

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
We don't know anything about zen except that clock for clock its comparable to Intel in at least one kind of rendering.

Traditionally amd with its current CPU don't even come close to Intel in blend tests. So all I can say is you are probably right. Even if it does not beat i7 at being the best, it will be atleast be close to it.

While its fair to assume it will be cheaper than Intel it will be over 500 for a decent 8 core