i3 8350k for streaming?

sotureg

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018
I'm looking to build a PC which I plan to stream on. Im only going to be streaming at 720p 60fps but will 4 cores 4 threads be enough without losing to much in performance? I looked at other cores but I want to overclock so the 8400 is not an option and the 8600k/7600k is out of my budget. I looked at AMD cpus but although they have lots of cores and threads, I have noticed that they get a lot worse fps for about the same price. (even though apparently streaming on them is very good) So will the i3 8350k be enough? and are there any other cores that you guys could recommend?

thx

Solution
You need enough CPU power to run the game and stream. So if your game requires 4 cores/4 threads to run properly, you will not have the ability to stream if all you have is a 4 core/4 thread CPU.

If you are concerned about game framerate only, then you can ignore the need for more cores or threads. Game fps vs game fps comparisons in reviews and benchmarks almost never take streaming into account, try to keep that in mind. Ryzens are not as fast as equivalent Intels, this is true. But Ryzens do offer more cores and threads, which is important for game streamering.

Ryzen 1600

sotureg

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018

I looked at that but during gaming benchmarks, the i3 blew it out of the water getting as much as 40 fps better on average.

You need enough CPU power to run the game and stream. So if your game requires 4 cores/4 threads to run properly, you will not have the ability to stream if all you have is a 4 core/4 thread CPU.

If you are concerned about game framerate only, then you can ignore the need for more cores or threads. Game fps vs game fps comparisons in reviews and benchmarks almost never take streaming into account, try to keep that in mind. Ryzens are not as fast as equivalent Intels, this is true. But Ryzens do offer more cores and threads, which is important for game streamering.

Solution