[SOLVED] i3-9100f to i5-9400f

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 22, 2021
Should I upgrade my cpu from a i3-9100F to a i5-9400F?
Current Specs:
CPU: i3-9100f
GPU: ZOTAC GAMING GTX 1660 6 GB
MOTHERBOARD: MSI H310M PRO-VDH PLUS
RAM: 16GB 2400MHZ

Solution
Just being curious, I looked online for a search on your H310 motherboard and 9700K. I found a couple of build and review videos up to the 8700, non K skew by KL Gamers and Unboxish. They also do reviews on the 9400F which may be useful to your decision.
There were a couple of hits related to advising not to use the K skew with this motherboard.
May 26, 2021
I was thinking about selling these but I'm under 16 so I'm not sure where I can sell those parts.

UK or US?

I'm UK, and in the rare event I don't use eBay or Amazon, I use Gumtree.

Obviously worth having a parent or legal guardian around, and making them aware of what you plan on doing assuming they don't have an eBay/Amazon account and allow you to sell it on there.

Apr 22, 2021
UK or US?

I'm UK, and in the rare event I don't use eBay or Amazon, I use Gumtree.

Obviously worth having a parent or legal guardian around, and making them aware of what you plan on doing assuming they don't have an eBay/Amazon account and allow you to sell it on there.
I'm US. I assume if I have a parent or guardians permission I can sell these parts on ebay?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Just being curious, I looked online for a search on your H310 motherboard and 9700K. I found a couple of build and review videos up to the 8700, non K skew by KL Gamers and Unboxish. They also do reviews on the 9400F which may be useful to your decision.
There were a couple of hits related to advising not to use the K skew with this motherboard.

Solution
Apr 22, 2021
So should I just get the i5-9400f or just save up for a new motherboard and amd cpu?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
So should I just get the i5-9400f or just save up for a new motherboard and amd cpu?

I don't feel like the advice to consider a platform upgrade to be bad. Without knowing what your budget will be and how long it would take you to get there could be important, not only in regard to this update but with an entirely new chipset and possibly memory standard around the corner. Coupled with the GPU shortage (and admittedly you have a decent one) it's not a super time to be building an entire system. Just the same, you could stand to gain a good deal of performance with even a meager update.

All that wind to say that it's a tough one and you have to be the one to decide that value.

Apr 22, 2021
I don't feel like the advice to consider a platform upgrade to be bad. Without knowing what your budget will be and how long it would take you to get there could be important, not only in regard to this update but with an entirely new chipset and possibly memory standard around the corner. Coupled with the GPU shortage (and admittedly you have a decent one) it's not a super time to be building an entire system. Just the same, you could stand to gain a good deal of performance with even a meager update.

All that wind to say that it's a tough one and you have to be the one to decide that value.
Alright I will see. Thanks for the help!

Monitor upgrade will not stop screen tearing, enabling some sort of -sync will.

For now, enable Vsync within game settings. It will lock your FPS to the 60hz your monitor can display. This will likely reduce stutter and get rid of any screen tearing.

Thee extra 2 cores of the 9400f will probably help smooth out your FPS versus the 9100f, but I would try the above before upgrading anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.