i3 and FX6300 core question

bayonet14

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
I happened to stumble upon this comment from a user. Is it true that the FX 6300's 6 cores are equivalent to 2 Intel cores with hyperthreading?

Solution
no. the two cpus have very different design and architecture even though they perform similar pc tasks.

in some tasks the core i3 (haswell and haswell refresh lineup) may perform better and in some others the fx6300 will outperform the core i3. if a task uses more than 2-3 cores e.g. 4-6 cores, the fx6300 will outperform the core i3. if a task uses 1-3 cores, the core i3 will have an edge.
no. the two cpus have very different design and architecture even though they perform similar pc tasks.

in some tasks the core i3 (haswell and haswell refresh lineup) may perform better and in some others the fx6300 will outperform the core i3. if a task uses more than 2-3 cores e.g. 4-6 cores, the fx6300 will outperform the core i3. if a task uses 1-3 cores, the core i3 will have an edge.

Solution

FX 6300 has 3 cores with Clustered multi-threading which is better than Intel's HyperThreading but not close to twice the number of cores.
http://blog.stuffedcow.net/2014/01/amd-modules-hyperthreading/