[SOLVED] i3 vs others working performance

Feb 17, 2019
Hello,

I have an i3 6100, 16 gb ram on an z270 mini itx board.

I don't use my computer for gaming anymore. I just use it for ms office, watching videos, surfing (chrome) etc.

My question is:
Is it reasonable to upgrade my cpu to an i5 6600k or i7 7700 ?
Or should i even consider upgrading the motherboard to coffee lake?
Would i get faster boot times with an better cpu? If yes, how much performance increase there would be on the things i do with my pc?

It's easy to find videos and websites where gaming performance is compared and its clear that there are sometimes huge differences but i couldnt find anything about everyday usage.

Solution
Ok but could that change in the future? Could Windows have more requirements in some years so i have to upgrade then?
i have an fine monitor, thanks for the tip
It's possible but we won't know until later on and it seems kind of pointless to upgrade for something you may or may not need. Plus that is a older generation, when it is time to upgrade then Intel or AMD would probably have something cheaper and faster available at that time.

WildCard999

Titan
-Nope
-Nope
-Nope
-Nope

If your looking to increase performance then look no further then a good quality SSD, reinstall Windows onto the SSD and keep about 15% space free and your system will run smooth and fast. Now if your doing a lot of multitasking of if you were rendering/editing then you may benefit from a better CPU but for general use the 6100 is plenty.

Feb 17, 2019
-Nope
-Nope
-Nope
-Nope

If your looking to increase performance then look no further then a good quality SSD, reinstall Windows onto the SSD and keep about 15% space free and your system will run smooth and fast. Now if your doing a lot of multitasking of if you were rendering/editing then you may benefit from a better CPU but for general use the 6100 is plenty.

Ok thank you. I already have an ssd with enough free storage. The performance is fine now but i asked myself if it could be faster.

Feb 17, 2019
Ok but could that change in the future? Could Windows have more requirements in some years so i have to upgrade then?

WildCard999

Titan
It's possible but we won't know until later on and it seems kind of pointless to upgrade for something you may or may not need. Plus that is a older generation, when it is time to upgrade then Intel or AMD would probably have something cheaper and faster available at that time.

Last edited:
Solution