[SOLVED] I5 1035G1 is throttling because of PL1 (POWER)

Apr 9, 2022
Hello people, i'm new here. English is not my main language so i'm sorry for if i write some weird sentences. Anyways, back to topic :

I'm having issues with my I5 1035G1 CPU in the last one or two weeks. When i check it through ThrottleStop my CPU/GPU/RING is thorttling because of PL1 (All the time) and EDP OTHER (not really frequently.) when it is under load.

My CPU clock speeds drops to 0.8 GHZ and my GPU wents to idle. Could anyone help me with this?

Thanks to everyone. <3

Solution
@Egg56813
Your TPL screenshot shows that the MMIO PL1 power limit has been set to only 10 Watts. That can cause power limit throttling. Try checking the MMIO Lock box to see if that helps. Also check the Speed Shift box while you are in the TPL window.

PizqbVD.png

There is usually no need to check the Clock Mod box on the main screen of ThrottleStop. I do not know of any laptops in years that have used that throttling method. Run a ThrottleStop log file. If the log file always shows 100.0 in the CMOD column when Clock Mod is not checked then you do not need to check this option.

In the FIVR window your Turbo Ratio Limits are set way too low. Did you do this on purpose? Set them back to the default...
Apr 9, 2022
@Egg56813
Your TPL screenshot shows that the MMIO PL1 power limit has been set to only 10 Watts. That can cause power limit throttling. Try checking the MMIO Lock box to see if that helps. Also check the Speed Shift box while you are in the TPL window.

PizqbVD.png

There is usually no need to check the Clock Mod box on the main screen of ThrottleStop. I do not know of any laptops in years that have used that throttling method. Run a ThrottleStop log file. If the log file always shows 100.0 in the CMOD column when Clock Mod is not checked then you do not need to check this option.

In the FIVR window your Turbo Ratio Limits are set way too low. Did you do this on purpose? Set them back to the default values that are listed; 36, 36, 33, 33.

weGPElI.png

After you fix these problems, check the Log File option and go play a game or do something for 15 minutes. You can copy and paste the log file data to www.pastebin.com or you can upload the log file somewhere so I can have a look at it. Intel CPUs use multiple turbo power limits. Fixing the MMIO power limits should help but there still might be other problems after you fix this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Solution
Apr 9, 2022

PizqbVD.png

In the FIVR window your Turbo Ratio Limits are set way too low. Did you do this on purpose? Set them back to the default values that are listed; 36, 36, 33, 33.

weGPElI.png

After you fix these problems, check the Log File option and go play a game or do something for 15 minutes. You can copy and paste the log file data to www.pastebin.com or you can upload the log file somewhere so I can have a look at it. Intel CPUs use multiple turbo power limits. Fixing the MMIO power limits should help but there still might be other problems after you fix this.
I did those TPL settings as you said, I made the core speeds like that yes. 1.5 GHZ is completely enough for me so i don't wanna stress my CPU even more. I'll post a LOG file of me playing CS:GO for 15 minutes.

Apr 9, 2022
Running an Intel CPU at its rated speed does not stress the CPU.

Intel designed the 1035G1 to run reliably at peak core temperatures up to 100°C. Intel knows what is best for your Intel CPU. There is no need to run it at a fraction of its rated speed.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...1035g1-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-60-ghz.html
https://pastebin.com/1dzjCRiS

Here are the logs.

The reason why i am running my CPU much lower than it was intended to be because my laptop haves some poor cooling. I run it like 1.3-1.7 GHZ because if i let it do whatever it wants my CPU temp goes up to 100C. (Highest i got was 117, after that my computer rebooted itself.) My laptop doesn't really cools itself down since it is a laptop for office use, not for gaming.

I didn't throttled for 20Minutes. PL1 stopped but EDP OTHER is still sometimes throttling. (I dont really feel it is thorttling but it says it happened sometime on CPU/GPU/RING)

Here are the logs.
The log file shows that your CPU is getting up to 85° to 87°C. Is that what you want? Are you comfortable with those temperatures? They are perfectly fine.

There is lots of EDP throttling in the log file. There is no point in trying to solve that if it is only going to make your computer run at a temperature that you are not comfortable with.

Is your laptop running faster compared to before you started using ThrottleStop to make adjustments ? Are you happy with the results?

Highest i got was 117
Most Intel core temperature thermal sensors stop reporting data at 100°C. What monitoring software were you using that reported 117°C? It was probably wrong. You can trust the temperatures that ThrottleStop reports. It will never show 117°C.

Your computer supports CPU voltage control. Setting the core and cache to a negative offset of -50 mV is usually 100% stable and can help reduce the CPU temperature or increase performance a little. Use the FIVR window to enter this voltage change. Here is how to enter -50.8 mV. Remember to change both the core and the cache.

8CsdE4X.png

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022
The log file shows that your CPU is getting up to 85° to 87°C. Is that what you want? Are you comfortable with those temperatures? They are perfectly fine.

There is lots of EDP throttling in the log file. There is no point in trying to solve that if it is only going to make your computer run at a temperature that you are not comfortable with.

Is your laptop running faster compared to before you started using ThrottleStop to make adjustments ? Are you happy with the results?

Most Intel core temperature thermal sensors stop reporting data at 100°C. What monitoring software were you using that reported 117°C? It was probably wrong. You can trust the temperatures that ThrottleStop reports. It will never show 117°C.

Your computer supports CPU voltage control. Setting the core and cache to a negative offset of -50 mV is usually 100% stable and can help reduce the CPU temperature or increase performance a little. Use the FIVR window to enter this voltage change. Here is how to enter -50.8 mV. Remember to change both the core and the cache.

8CsdE4X.png
I undervolted my i51035g1 -40MV before. It was running perfectly fine. I disabled it because i thought it would help with this pl1 limit. I'll undervolt it back. Thank you.

I used QuickCPU64 to see my temprature, it was telling me the highest temp it saw was 117C. Right after that my computer rebooted.

My FPS and stuff doesn't drops as before. And my CPU doesn't throttles back to 0.8GHZ. I think we made it. Thank you for your help.

Thank youuu!

Reactions: uWebb429
Undervolting reduces power consumption. Lowering the voltage will either reduce the amount of throttling or it will allow the CPU to run faster before it starts to throttle. Lowering the voltage is definitely a good thing to be doing. Avoid ever updating the BIOS or you might lose this important feature. A lot of computers have released BIOS updates that lock out CPU voltage control.

I believe the 117°C number that QuickCPU reported was probably an error. Most Intel temperature sensors stop increasing when they reach a temperature of 100°C. Your laptop has set the thermal throttling (PROCHOT) temperature to 95°C. This will force your CPU to run at 800 MHz if it ever gets to 95°C. That makes it pretty much impossible for the CPU to go much beyond this temperature. Perhaps 99°C . The heatsink would need to fall off before a peak core temperature of 117°C could be reached and even then, it would still only be reported as 100°C.

My FPS and stuff doesn't drops as before. And my CPU doesn't throttles back to 0.8GHZ
That sounds like a success story. If you ever get adventurous, open up your laptop, clean it out and replace the thermal paste. This is not as hard as it might sound. I like Noctua NT-H2. There are lots of YouTube videos available to guide you.

Try increasing Power Limit 4 in the TPL window a little. This might reduce the amount of EDP throttling.