[SOLVED] I5-10600k Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

langaler

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
I was looking for some motherboards for the I5-10600k which is a LGA 1200 socket. I was under the impression that the motherboard had to have a 1200 socket. Researching the best boards for that cpu shows a LGA 1155 socket but says you can install the 1200 on it. Is this correct.

Solution
Thanks. I figured it was just a misprint on that particular board. No I have not ordered the cpu yet but when I do I plan on ordering a Asrock z490 Extreme 4, which seems to be a nice board. Your thoughts on the board would be appreciated since it has been 10 years since I have built a pc.
Board I use with the 10600K, better power phase same price range.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-Z490-TOMAHAWK

The one you picked would also work fine with that processor.

langaler

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
That is false.
Different sockets exist for a reason.
You cant mix cpu's with different motherboards.
Both cpu and motherboard have to be of the same socket.
You need a LGA 1200 motherboard for a 10600K.
Budget?
Do you already own the 10600K?

Thanks. I figured it was just a misprint on that particular board. No I have not ordered the cpu yet but when I do I plan on ordering a Asrock z490 Extreme 4, which seems to be a nice board. Your thoughts on the board would be appreciated since it has been 10 years since I have built a pc.

Reactions: Dj0gany

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Board I use with the 10600K, better power phase same price range.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-Z490-TOMAHAWK

The one you picked would also work fine with that processor.

Solution

Alex Storm

Reputable
Mar 2, 2021
Asrock motherboards do not correctly control the CPU voltage, at least that was the case on the Z390 chipset

Why a Z590 and for sure not a B board with a K processor.
More PCIe 4.0 lanes, Thunderbolt 4 support, WiFi 6E.
Im sure some Z490 motherboard's have some of these features, and if the OP needs the features i listed, i think a Z590 would be a good option for future.
I recommended a B560 chipset, because if the OP decides not to overclock, but wants 3200mhz ram support, he doesnt have to pay for Z490.
I think Z490/Z590 and B460/B560 are similarly priced, so why not go for the newer stuff?
I see this as a B450/B550 motherboard situation.

Reactions: Alex Storm

langaler

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
What do you guys think of this motherboard for I5-10600k. There are no reviews on it so I'm not sure if it will allow the cpu to be OC and from I can ascertain reading the specs and overview it has a lot of stuff I dont think I will use or need at the moment. This build is for my son and he might want to upgrade to the new 11 gens when they level out so this is why I looked at it. I think myself the mag z490 would sufficient, but the Asus is a little cheaper and seems like it would offer more. Thanks for any replies.

What do you guys think of this motherboard for I5-10600k. There are no reviews on it so I'm not sure if it will allow the cpu to be OC and from I can ascertain reading the specs and overview it has a lot of stuff I dont think I will use or need at the moment. This build is for my son and he might want to upgrade to the new 11 gens when they level out so this is why I looked at it. I think myself the mag z490 would sufficient, but the Asus is a little cheaper and seems like it would offer more. Thanks for any replies.
You forgot the link, i think : )

Reactions: Alex Storm

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
More PCIe 4.0 lanes, Thunderbolt 4 support, WiFi 6E.
Im sure some Z490 motherboard's have some of these features, and if the OP needs the features i listed, i think a Z590 would be a good option for future.
I recommended a B560 chipset, because if the OP decides not to overclock, but wants 3200mhz ram support, he doesnt have to pay for Z490.
I think Z490/Z590 and B460/B560 are similarly priced, so why not go for the newer stuff?
I see this as a B450/B550 motherboard situation.
The 10600K does not support PCI-E 4.0 for the video card.
Thunderbolt 4 for your average user has no use, and the original board he picked has no WIFI and yes they cost more.

Status
Not open for further replies.