Question i5-12400f + ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus D4 WiFi ?

GoldN1337

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
Hello, so, recently I bought i5-12400f on Aliexpress, still waiting for it to be delivered. Meanwhile I was searching for motherboards on local markets(I didn't want to buy mobo on foreign online markets, like Amazon, eBay etc), at first I researched what would be a good budget choice for 12400f, everything mentioned B660 motherboards, since 12400f is locked CPU and it will be enough. Surprisingly, on my local markets, B660 motherboards are same priced(if not more), than Z690 motherboards, for example, ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus D4 WiFi price is same as Asus TUF GAMING B660M-E D4 and from my understanding that particular B660 mobo isn't even "high end" and can't be compared to mentioned Z690. So, I am thinking about buying Asus' Z690 for my i5-12400f, year or two from now I might upgrade to better, unlocked CPU and I think that also will be a plus if I won't have to get a better mobo for it(I guess that Z690 mobo has very good VRM).

What you think guys, am I missing something, or should I go for Z690 without thinking twice?

if the price is the same in your country than go for it .
you can even try to search for Z790 chipset if by chance it is also available for cheap .
another thing to consider is getting a motherboard with DDR5 memory support (if it is not much more expensive that is)
Z motherboards are indeed better (generally speaking) in terms of VRM quality and are designed for overclocking
(if you buy yourself "K" i5/i7 or i9 down the road your motherboard will be ready for it)
(13th gen i5/i7 processors are also quite power hungry so better VRM never hurts) .

GoldN1337

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
I don't think getting DDR5 mobo is a great choice in my country, prices are double/triple compared to DDR4 mobos and RAM sticks and I want to keep the build budget friendly.

One more question, what about MSI Z690 Tomahawk D4? Both Asus and MSI Z690 mobos are priced the same, which one is better? VRM wise both are top of the line, but I've never overclocked a CPU and I'm not sure which one has better firmware for an easy overclock-ability.