Question i5 12400F gets to 71C under cinebench and only scores 9200?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reapzstar

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2016
I saw some reviews on the internet, everywhere I checked I saw it should do around ~11.000 points on Cinebench R23, and mine does 9200 for some reason.
Is it because the 65W power limit?(I didn't change it to 65, it was defaulted to this)
If so, how do I turn that off, or should it be turned off at all?
Also, with this 65W power limit, the IDLE temps are around ~36 with an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 ARGB and reach up to 71-72 when running Cinebench Multicore.
Isn't that quite high with this cooler?
I'm assuming something is wrong with both the Cinebench score and the temps.
Mobo is an ASRock B660M PRO RS

I'd appreciate any kinda suggestion, not that I'm worried or anything, cause gaming performance is awesome regardless of the higher than anticipated temps and the power limit.
But I'm a little concerned as to whether these are the appropriate numbers or not.

Thanks in advance for every comment!

KyaraM

Admirable
Those are normal operating temperatures for any modern Intel CPU. A little too cool actually considering that you are stress testing.

Go into the BIOS and see if you can increase your PL1 and PL2 turbo power limits. Your CPU is starving for power. That is why your benchmark scores are low compared to everyone else.
If it's only for benchmarking, Intel XTU might allow to increase for raising the power limit, too, even if it'snot an overclockable CPU. Maybe try that first before going to BIOS immediately. However, there shouldn't be any noticeable difference in games since they don't draw much. Heck, my 12770k only draws 40-60W while gaming...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It shouldn't be because of the 65w power limit. Steve from HWUB ran one under the 65w base power limit with a different B660 and scored around 11,000.
-Something else was running during Cinebench R23 and taking up cpu cycles?
-Motherboard VRM thermal throttling? Get a desk or table fan, remove the side panel, and blast the upper area of the motherboard with it while you check Cinebench R23 again.
-Loose cpu EPS cable?

reapzstar

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2016
Nothing else was running, no thermal throttle as far as I'm aware(the arctic cooler has an additional little fan on the block that should help the VRM temps even further), no lose cables either.
I'm aware that the 71-72 C are perfectly normal, but I was expecting WAY better results with a 120$ AIO that is claimed to be "one of the best" especially on a CPU that only draws 65W.

reapzstar

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2016
That just can't be the case.
I've seen videos of ppl testing this CPU under Cinebench with a H610 motherboard and scoring 12000 points.
If that doesn't overheat and throttle with the stock cooler, this just can't do that either.
Picture

@reapzstar
Run Cinebench again. Open up HWiNFO and watch for any reasons for throttling. If other people with this CPU are scoring 12000 and you are only scoring 9200 then there has to be reason for that. Does anything say Yes in the HWiNFO data? When I run Cinebench I see No from top to bottom.

DTPcQYV.png

Also check the Task Manager to see if your computer is idle before you start Cinebench. Low scores are caused by throttling during the test or too much stuff running in the background sucking up CPU cycles. Make sure to look at the Details tab and not the Processes tab.

qEP22Sx.png

Guess that has to do with the 65W limitation?
Raise the turbo power limits in the BIOS until there is no throttling.

If the BIOS is locked, you can use ThrottleStop 9.4.3 to set the PL1 and PL2 power limits while in Windows.

tmSssih.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

reapzstar

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2016
Doesn't this affect the motherboard/CPU negatively?
I mean, there's only 1x8 PIN CPU connector on the MOBO, removing the power limit will let it eat well above 100W, isn't that a problem with a B660?

1x8 PIN CPU
I only have 1x8 pin connector plugged in on my motherboard and it is good for over 300W.

If you want 12000 point Cinebench R23 scores then you need to find out why your CPU is throttling and not running at its full rated speed. Your board should be able to handle a 12400F.

Use ThrottleStop to watch the CPU MHz while Cinebench is running. It should run the entire test at maximum speed.

reapzstar

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2016
This is how it came, there's nothing wrong the mounting of the fans I'm assuming.
Also, could I please get some guidance on how I use ThrottleStop or is there a video perhaps that you'd provide to my attention?
I wouldn't want to f*ck anything up, first time doing anything like this.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
This is how it came, there's nothing wrong the mounting of the fans I'm assuming.
Really?
iu

We can clearly tell the lone fan is exhausting air out the back.
IF the fans on the AIO are pushing air out the front like I suspect, then there's a top and bottom intake to front and rear exhaust airflow setup. If it's not hurting anything, I guess it's fine as it is...
The chassis resembles a Cooler Master Masterbox Q300L.

@reapzstar
Post lots of screenshots of ThrottleStop if you need help.

Before you adjust anything, run Cinebench and watch your CPU speed (MHZ) on the main screen of ThrottleStop. Is your CPU running the entire Cinebench test at a consistent speed or do the MHz drop when fully loaded? Open the Limit Reasons window so you can watch for any reasons for throttling while testing.

@Phaaze88
Thanks for the pic. That is easier than my put a piece of paper on the fans trick.

reapzstar

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2016
They're mounted like this: Picture
Isn't it how they should be?
I can definitely change the orientation of the fans if you suggest that might help out the temps a lil better.
uWebb429
I was looking at the CPU speed the entire time, it didn't drop from 3994 Mhz once throughout the Cinebench run.
Will I see a huge difference in gaming after I mess around with ThrottleStop?
If not, I don't think I'd bother with it to be honest.
It feels amazing to game which was the main point of this build.

I believe the 40 multiplier is the max for your CPU when fully loaded. You can check in the FIVR window to see what it lists for default values.

If your computer is running consistently at full speed then you do not need to change anything. I am not sure why your computer is scoring so low in Cinebench R23. Over 12000 points seems to be typical with either DDR4 or DDR5.

https://overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/intel_core_i5-12400f_ddr4_vs_ddr5_review/8

Open up the Task Manager Performance tab and see if it is reporting 6 Cores and 12 Logical processors. Almost seems like a couple of your cores are disabled or hyper threading is disabled.

Did you install a clean version of Windows? Open msconfig and make sure the Number of processors box is not checked and then reboot if you are having any problems with cores and threads not being fully detected.

Last edited:

logainofhades

Titan
They're mounted like this: Picture
Isn't it how they should be?
I can definitely change the orientation of the fans if you suggest that might help out the temps a lil better.
uWebb429
I was looking at the CPU speed the entire time, it didn't drop from 3994 Mhz once throughout the Cinebench run.
Will I see a huge difference in gaming after I mess around with ThrottleStop?
If not, I don't think I'd bother with it to be honest.
It feels amazing to game which was the main point of this build.

Those fans are backwards. You want the front to be an intake, not an exhaust.

There has to be something wrong. It is not normal for Cinebench to drop over 3000 points compared to other computers with the same CPU.

Check the Log File box in ThrottleStop and run Cinebench again. When finished testing, exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize the log file. It should be in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder. Copy and paste the log file data to www.pastebin.com and then post a link so I can have a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.