Jun 19, 2024

Context​

I'm transitioning from using a 6th generation Intel Core i5 laptop that recently died due to a motherboard issue.
As I upgrade to a new system, I plan to use it for Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, some gaming, and general multitasking.
I'm new to building PCs and would appreciate any advice on compatibility and component choices.

Planned Build​

1. CPU:- Intel Core i5-13600K
  2. GPU:- Nvidia RTX 4060
  3. SSD:- Samsung 990 Pro M.2 2TB
  4. RAM:- G.SKILL Trident Z RGB DDR5 7200 C34 2x16GB
  5. Motherboard:- Gigabyte Z790 AORUS ELITE AX

Seeking Recommendations​

I haven't yet decided on the cooler, power supply, or case. As a beginner, I'm finding it challenging to choose the best ones. If anyone can help with recommendations or advice on compatibility or any feedback, it would be most welcome.

Processor Upgrade Considerations​

I'm also considering whether the Intel Core i5-13600K is the best choice or if the i5-14600K or i7-13700K would be better, keeping the price in mind. Any insights on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:

Context​

I'm transitioning from using a 6th generation Intel Core i5 laptop that recently died due to a motherboard issue.
As I upgrade to a new system, I plan to use it for Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, some gaming, and general multitasking.
I'm new to building PCs and would appreciate any advice on compatibility and component choices.

Planned Build​

Seeking Recommendations​

I haven't yet decided on the cooler, power supply, or case. As a beginner, I'm finding it challenging to choose the best ones. If anyone can help with recommendations or advice on compatibility or any feedback, it would be most welcome.

I'm also considering whether the Intel Core i5-13600K is the best choice or if the i5-14600K or i7-13700K would be better, keeping the price in mind. Any insights on this would be greatly appreciated.

What country are you located, what is your budget, what is your resolution and are you looking for a RGB or non RGB build?

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
considering whether the Intel Core i5-13600K is the best choice
depends on exactly what you plan on doing with the system and the type of performance you expect.
haven't yet decided on the cooler, power supply, or case
cooler really depends on which CPU you ultimately decide on.

power supply is a big deal.
too many out there just go and buy some garbage because it states the wattage they think they need and has a "Gold" rating.
the manufacturer provided warranty is a good factor to keep in mind in regards to the overall quality. look for 10 years with connected devices coverage.

case leaves a lot for the user to decide.
there are so many options with so many aesthetic differences it can take a long time to find what's best for you.
good airflow with proper filtering is a main feature to keep in mind for any mid-high performance based systems.
two of my current favorites are the be quiet! Silent Base 802 and the Lian Li LanCool III.
i have an older "list" of some good options that were available through Newegg,
can at least give a good idea of what's available out there.
SSD:- Samsung 990 Pro M.2 2TB
i would recommend getting a smaller(~256-480GB) drive only for OS & basic applications
and a second and/or third drive for games, projects, etc.

plus make sure to have a separate backup location for all important data.
keeping the price in mind
your overall budget will be a big deciding factor here.

This is an example of an ARGB build minus the graphics card. Ignore the bios warning in the link seeing how this board comes with Gigabyte Q-Flash Plus which allows you to update the bios without having the cpu and RAM installed.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *Intel Core i5-14500 2.6 GHz 14-Core Processor ($239.98 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: *Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($35.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *Gigabyte B760 AORUS ELITE AX ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: *Silicon Power Value Gaming 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($94.97 @ Amazon)
Storage: *Acer Predator GM7000 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Case: *Phanteks XT PRO ULTRA ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: *be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $810.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-06-19 11:19 EDT-0400

A better look at those components.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B760-AORUS-ELITE-AX-rev-1x

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...-24m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz/specifications.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermalright-phantom-spirit-120-review

https://www.predatorstorage.com/products/predator-gm7000-pcie-4-ssd.html

https://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/4166

Jun 19, 2024
What country are you located, what is your budget, what is your resolution and are you looking for a RGB or non RGB build?
Hey there! I'm from India and my budget for the new build is around ₹80,000, which is roughly $900 (max), I'm planning to use the system at 1080p or 2K resolution, nothing higher than that. Also, I'd prefer a non-RGB build if it suits my budget and doesn't compromise performance (if). Thanks for your help :)

planning to use the system at 1080p or 2K resolution,
but, for what exactly;
what type of projects in your Adobe software
what games in particular, what type of in-game settings and what kind of performance are you expecting?

do you already have a display or are you waiting for someone to also include a new monitor for you?
I'd prefer a non-RGB build
and are you just waiting for someone to create an entire build for you
or would you rather pick out parts(case, cooler, etc) that fit your preferred aesthetics?

Jun 19, 2024
depends on exactly what you plan on doing with the system and the type of performance you expect.
i gonna work in illustrator and photoshop mostly + some games too (real time one). 1080p will be perfect opt for me as per my need i guess.
Although i am not sure about should i go with amd cpu or intel's core
i checked some benchmark performance list for multi core performance i7 14700kf being the highest on the list followed by i5 14600KF. they sit at much higher then that of amd ryzen 7's cpu . ( based on how much i can afford. )

can at least give a good idea of what's available out there.
thanks for the help. it really help to get a sort of idea about the cases i needed.
i would recommend getting a smaller(~256-480GB) drive only for OS & basic applications
and a second and/or third drive for games, projects, etc.

plus make sure to have a separate backup location for all important data.
okay! i am thinking of shifting to 1 tb ssd (as my need gonna increase with the incoming years)
I will buy cheaper storage like hdd for storage purposes ( any good suggestion ? )
your overall budget will be a big deciding factor here.
its around 800 to 850, 900 being the highest i can get out from my pocket.

Jun 19, 2024
and are you just waiting for someone to create an entire build for you
maybe this, actually i am struggling a lot in this
what games in particular, what type of in-game settings and what kind of performance are you expecting?
games like valorant or CS GO type.
but, for what exactly;
work :- photo editing, grpahic design, web & app design, some kind of digital painting and all.
do you already have a display or are you waiting for someone to also include a new monitor for you?
maybe the 2nd opt as i don't have any monitor rn. ( i was considering 1080p as i believe it will perform well as per my budget)

TheHerald

Notable
Feb 15, 2024

Context​

Planned Build​

Seeking Recommendations​

How heavy is your gaming? I'd say aim for a bigger card - 4070 or 7800xt.

This is a quick one I made if you are in the US

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HBpqFs

Jun 19, 2024
How heavy is your gaming? I'd say aim for a bigger card - 4070 or 7800xt.

This is a quick one I made if you are in the US

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HBpqFs
Thanks for the build recommendation.

games like valorant, cs go and some like resident evil.

i am not fully into gaming i need something which help with my graphic work in photoshop and illustrator.

also 4070 or 7800xt are quite expensive for me. 😢
But i really appreciate your help and effort :)

TheHerald

Notable
Feb 15, 2024
Thanks for the build recommendation.

games like valorant, cs go and some like resident evil.

i am not fully into gaming i need something which help with my graphic work in photoshop and illustrator.

also 4070 or 7800xt are quite expensive for me. 😢
But i really appreciate your help and effort :)
Then opt down for a 4060, but still all of that ain't gonna fit at 800$.