Question i5-14500 SpeedStep not working

PuzzledToo

Reputable
May 14, 2020
I replaced the CPU & mobo & SpeedStep is not working.

Intel i5-14500
ASRock B760M PRO RS/D4 Motherboard
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 RAM
Samsung M.2 SSD 970 EVO Plus
Windows 10 Pro

Problem is CPU is stuck at 2600 MHz

BIOS > Advanced Mode shows Processor Max Speed: 2600Mhz and Min Speed: 400Mhz.
BIOS EZ MODE it indicates Processor Speed: 4600Mhz.

Intel states the Performance-core Base Frequency is 2600Mhz. Which happens to be what I'm stuck at.

HWMonitor shows all cores stuck at 2600 Mhz.

I tried to load the CPU and the CPU fan speed went from 1100 RPM to 3100 RPM so I figured the CPU must be under some load. But the cores never went faster.

I was also expecting the cores to slow down at idle with no load, like my old CPU did.

I did contact ASRock Technical Support (not the forum). There is no SpeedStep setting in BIOS and they said it is enabled by default. They said to update the BIOS, which I did, but that made no difference. Then they said to try another CPU, which I don't have.

Before I return/exchange the CPU, is there any "hidden" BIOS setting that I should first change to see if affects SpeedStep?

Thanks foe any suggestions.

PuzzledToo

Reputable
May 14, 2020
Problem Solved -

I installed HWINFO64 and it showed that it appeared all the clocks were working & varying with load.

I updated HWMonitor & now it shows everything working correctly. I thought it was working properly before because it showed all the cores & frequencies & temperatures & voltages & fan speeds, etc. Apparently it was not accurate though.

Sorry for any confusion.