Question i5 14600kf overheating

Sep 30, 2023
Hello ,

I have been having overheating problems with my i5-14600KF, so I would like to ask if there is anything I can do to make the situation better temporarily (undervolting, etc.) and what cooling option should I use if mine isn't enough. If what I have is enough and my high temps are abnormal then I would like to know that as well.

I get 90-100 pretty quickly when I try to do a stress test; some of the cores seem to reach 100 while some stay around 83-85. Took the screenshot after i closed stress test , max values are pretty much what i get during stress test and current temps are no load temps. When i play for example starfield at maxed settings I get like some cores at 70 and some of them are at 84 , not bad as stress test but still very high temps.

NOKec1724954469.png

I use Akasa Alucia H4 Plus and thermal paste came with it T5 Pro-Grade Plus. Also i wonder if i add one more fan to the cooler would it help ?

My case is
cooler master haf 912 and i basically have cheap random fans at top and left side addition to stock ones.
nnIEG1724954411.jpg

Thanks in advance !

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not exactly a large air cooler. The review you posted shows a max dissipation of 200 ish watts. CPU should max out around 181W if the Intel standards are adhered to. So it hitting 90-100C is to be expected under those conditions.

Seems like it is working just fine for games though.

You can try your hand at undervolting of course. If you haven't already, you should download the latest BIOS for your motherboard to apply the Intel microcode fixes that take care of Intel's voltage spiking problem.

rene641

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
I don't have a 14600KF, but a 13600KF, I had it undervolted for a long time, after upgrading the bios with microcode 0x129 I canceled the undervoltage, set everything to Intel default and auto and temperatures remained OK. Do you have the latest bios?

Alan Alan

Commendable
Aug 9, 2022
Hello ,

I have been having overheating problems with my i5-14600KF, so I would like to ask if there is anything I can do to make the situation better temporarily (undervolting, etc.) and what cooling option should I use if mine isn't enough. If what I have is enough and my high temps are abnormal then I would like to know that as well.

I get 90-100 pretty quickly when I try to do a stress test; some of the cores seem to reach 100 while some stay around 83-85. Took the screenshot after i closed stress test , max values are pretty much what i get during stress test and current temps are no load temps. When i play for example starfield at maxed settings I get like some cores at 70 and some of them are at 84 , not bad as stress test but still very high temps.

NOKec1724954469.png

I use Akasa Alucia H4 Plus and thermal paste came with it T5 Pro-Grade Plus. Also i wonder if i add one more fan to the cooler would it help ?

My case is cooler master haf 912 and i basically have cheap random fans at top and left side addition to stock ones.
nnIEG1724954411.jpg

Thanks in advance !
I'm not sure if your micro is air cooled with a fan or water cooled. I do know that a thin evenly covered layer of thermal compound is better than a thick coat. I usually roll the paste on with a perfectly straight and well rounded and finely polished sled rod I took out of a cd player. I coat the processors heat sink and roll the grease around. It's ends up thin and well covered. Then I inspect the heat sink that makes contact with the micro. If the heat sink appears tarnished from storage I buff if lightly with a bit of KROIL oil. This is special penetrating oil that softens oxidation then I use an eyeglass cleaner non abrasive cloth to wipe it clean and dry. Then I secure the heat sink to the micro as usual. I use a three fan water cooler and the micro temps rarely exceed 60c. However I won't do a stress test because heat destroys micro's if there is something wrong with the heat sinking. I keep an eye out when running a video game or other high micro usage and it's never exceeded 70c. It's an intel coffee lake 6 core that overclocks up to 4.7 gig dynamically when it needs to. Whatever, I serviced electronics for 45 years and heat kills. Specs are one thing to meet but another to meet in the long run. I've heard tale of intel outlasting amd in general and it's debatable but I think you are asking for trouble at those temps. I would run it normally and watch the temps. If they temps continue to increase I'd double check your cooling system and if the problem persists with the cpu voltage the same; you might want to contact the manufacturer and tell them what's going on.