i5-2500k going over 90C under load

Jul 28, 2018
Hello there guys,

basically my CPU is overheating, it's going up to 95C under load.
Even when I'm playing games like TEKKEN 7 my highest CPU temp was at 86C so I guess that something is wrong with my CPU.

My BIOS settings are default, I've applied a new thermal paste today, took the old one off, cleaned the components from dust and still nothing helped tbh, the temps are all the same just like they've been b4 replacing thermal paste and doing the cleanings.

I've got an ASRock P67 Pro3 mobo with i5-2500k and it's stock cooler. Cooler is installed properly, all the pins went in correctly, I can't move it at all, I didn't apply too much or not enough of the thermal paste, doublechecked both of these, I didn't OC it at all.

I seriously have no clue what to do at this point, I'm lost and about to throw it to the bin zzzzz

86c is still ok technically, your issue is most likely your intake/exhaust setup. make sure all of your case fans are working properly. you can go into BIOS and change your fan speeds so that your CPU cooler can do its job more effectively. It may be as simple as removing the old thermal paste and reapply. if you really want temps to drop get a new cooler as well

Jul 28, 2018

all the fans are working properly, and the old thermal paste was removed and I've applied a new one as stated in the thread.

and by the way how is 86c still okay, I've been reading different i5-2500k threads and they had like 70 at most under load?

What is your temperature at idle?
I would expect to see 10-15c over ambient.
Is your cooler fan running?
Does your case supply sufficient intake airflow to let the cooler do it's job.
two 120 front intakes would be the minimum.
Do you have a hot graphics card inside?

Sometimes the stock cooler is not level.
The trick is to push down on DIAGONAL pairs of pushpins at the same time.
How much paste did you use?
A small rice sized drop will spread under heat and pressure.
Sounds like you did this correctly.

2500k can get hot, particularly if overclocked.
Do not worry too much, the processor will slow down or turn off to protect itself if it detects a dangerous temperature.
That is about 100c.

I think you are too close and need to address the issue.
You should probably operate at a max of 75c under heavy loads.

Jul 28, 2018
My temp at idle in BIOS is 55C~ @ Windows' desktop about 45-47C
My cooler fan is working, yeah.
I've got the side of my case opened and also my case has no fans at all, the only fans I've got in the case are from the GPU, CPU and PSU. The case itself has no fans, that's an old case tbh.
I've got a GIGABYTE GTX 950, it's temperature is really low at idle and doesn't overheat even when overclocked a bit.
Well, the stock cooler is installed properly, I've tried having a game or anything opened to get the CPU to raise it's temperature and I then tried pushing down the pushpins as you've stated aswell but to no avail :(, no changes in temperature, it holds strong.
How much paste did I use? Not too much and enough I suppose, I might try re-applying it once I'll get back home but I don't think that's an issue, the temperatures didn't change at all tbh

I know 2500k can get hot but the difference is that anyone on the stock cooler without overclocking it has like 30-35 @ idle and 70 at best when under load and mine literally cooks itself...
I know that the CPU will throttle itself if it'll come to a dangerous temp but I really would love to get the best of it without these issues.

Now the problem is that I have no idea if the problem persisted before or not because I only started looking up on the temperatures of CPU a couple of days ago when overclocking my GPU, there could be an issue with the stock cooler that it isn't working properly for a couple of months or even years and it's been like that for ages already, I've got no clue to be honest, I'll try re-applying the thermalpaste once again with cleaning it off entirely and then with literally a small rice sized drop applying it on the CPU.
Shall I just drop it in the middle and then install the cooler onto it or shall I spread it manually?

dragonstar914

Proper
Jun 24, 2018
Stock Intel coolers are not good to use on K sku CPUs. The first thing I would do is replace that stock Intel cooler because even at stock speeds it isn't really enough to properly cool that CPU when you have a heavy load on it.

Jul 28, 2018

Yeah but still that's not a solution to my problem though as people with stock coolers are able to OC that CPU to 4.2 and still aren't getting over 80 ;p