i5 2550K using GTX 550 TI wants to play Star Wars

Jeff_Clark

Commendable
Jun 11, 2016
I did see an earlier thread on a similar question, but I am not looking for a real expensive video card. My computer is mostly for music production using DAW software. However, I want to know what I can do about upgrading to play the new Star Wars Battlefront...

Solution

Themastererr

Respectable
May 22, 2016
The 2550k is a still a solid CPU.

My opinion is that if you upgraded even to a GTX 960 or an R9 380, you would see a very nice improvement in overall visual quality and frames per second.

With that being said, keep in mind this is the year for component upgrades. AMD is releasing the new 480 GPU which is 200$ and is as powerful as a current 400-500$ card. Nvidia has also released their new GPU's which are great performers, but costly.

I would advise you to get a card with at least 4Gb of Video RAM to future proof you for the next couple years at the very least.

Jeff_Clark

Commendable
Jun 11, 2016

Thanks for responding so quickly! I appreciate that!

I have always been a fan of Nvidia and used their cards whenever I could. Maybe I am just partial to green LOL. I am also not looking to break the bank and $200.00 is about the dizzy limit. Also I am going to upgrade the memory on the PC from 4 GB to 8 or 16. That helps when having all those music samples loaded but I figure it will help out everything.

So I found this handy chart and it lists my card...way down at the bottom LOL. I also play World of Tanks and World of Warships and find it acceptable on the medium settings.

Nvidia-GTX-970-Performance.png

Themastererr

Respectable
May 22, 2016

No worries.

The 960 sounds like a good card for you. If you wanted to, you could also buy a used 970 and take advantage of the fact they're a lower price because of the 1xxx series release.

I would make the jump to 16Gb RAM. Leaves you worry free in regard to memory issues.

Solution

Jeff_Clark

Commendable
Jun 11, 2016

That's good to know! When I built this computer I didn't go for the i7 because I'd upgrade later. Turns out I really don't need to. Even a 3770K would give me a modest performance increase. But yeah, I was thrilled with Sandy Bridge!

LOL I'm in the same boat. I bought a 4690K thinking I'd need to buy an i7 4790K later, but as it turns out, my i5 is still overkill for most of what I do. :)

TRENDING THREADS