I5 3450 and Radeon 6850. Or Fx 4100 and Radeon 6870.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

not disputing what you're saying just putting this out for the OP

with a new system; cpu, motherboard, ram and gpu; it is usually a good idea to "breadboard" it before putting it in the case. (it is not a big deal to remove the PSU and a HD from an exisiting case) so that way if you run across a problem it can be a bit easier to troubleshoot and immediately removes the possibility of a short.

point being: it is a lot easier to install the cpu and heat sink outside the case than inside. when you get done "breadboard" then just remove the graphics card to mount it in the case (leaving the cpu/heatsink and ram on the motherboard).

dissbelief

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
If you can work a 7850 into your budget, you'll be a happy gamer for years to come. I bought my GTX 460 2 years ago and it still does well with modern games but its showing its age though. A 7850 would kill it and youll have the option to crossfire. Unless you need heavy CPU resources, any modern CPU will do. For gaming, pump all you can into the GPU. RAM, HDD, CPU, motherboard, etc all have little effect when it comes to your FPS. You can cherry pick benchmarks to show otherwise, but when you are gaming at 1080p, and you want more detail and higher FPS, only the GPU will do that.

striiker

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
I see your point now. ill look into getting the 212 if the case has room on the back (its an elite 430)

for the gpu, i can't afford a 7850 if i get an i5. and i wont be gaming all the time. and it still leaves me with not much money. and the sound of an i3 seems underpowered with its name, and with only 2 true cores. it wont be as good because most games are now using more cores so ect.

zared619

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2012

In gaming, you won't notice much of a difference between the i5 and the i3. In other applications, such as photoshop, the i5 would be much better.

lesliess

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Op, what did you end up getting? I'm looking into getting the i5 but don't have the budget for the 7850 either.