I5 3570 artifacts horizontal lines

saurabh tandon

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013
I purchased a used cpu i5 3570.
After finishing installing intel hd 2500 driver, on the boot my screen freezed with colourful horizontal lines of 5 cm long each. There are so many colours. All i have to force turn off the pc. It happened 3 times today with different intervals. What could be the issue? Is it drivers or the cpu is faulty?
I ran paasmark,prime 95 for 2 minutes only .. no problem. Im on win 10.

Solution
Before you do anything else, you may want to check if your BIOS is up to date. If you are lucky, maybe there's a BIOS fix for IGP-related issues.

Horizontal streaks of randomly colored pixels could also be caused by memory errors, so it may be worth running memtest86 for several (10+) hours to rule out any obvious memory or memory controller issues. The only acceptable result for this test is no errors whatsoever.

As for whether a bad IGP would affect CPU performance, that depends on how the IGP failed and you'll have to benchmark the CPU to find out.

InvalidError

Titan
Before you do anything else, you may want to check if your BIOS is up to date. If you are lucky, maybe there's a BIOS fix for IGP-related issues.

Horizontal streaks of randomly colored pixels could also be caused by memory errors, so it may be worth running memtest86 for several (10+) hours to rule out any obvious memory or memory controller issues. The only acceptable result for this test is no errors whatsoever.

As for whether a bad IGP would affect CPU performance, that depends on how the IGP failed and you'll have to benchmark the CPU to find out.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan

You said: "It happened 3 times today with different intervals."

This means that whatever problem you have might be is intermittent. The only way to find out what component is causing the behavior is to try testing each subsystem in as close to isolation from all other variables as possible and find out which one can be made to repeatedly reproduce the issue fastest when stress-testing it.

My own PC can run for months at a time between reboots and those reboots are for OS and driver updates, not crashes. My PC has crashed maybe once in the past four years and that one crash was when I switched from AMD to Nvidia GPU, so I shrugged that off as a possible one-time driver transition glitch.