I5 3570k fan noise

RedRibbon

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Hello,
I just finished upgrading my PC. I put in a new mobo, processor, memory, and psu. I even upgraded my OS from XP to Windows 8. My problem is the stock fan that came with my i5 3570k is making odd noises. When I first boot up, before the OS is loaded, the fan kicks into high gear and makes a loud whiring noise, then slows down and becomes almost silent (though it is still running). Then sometimes for seemingly no reason at all (while using my internet browser or the system is just idle), I'll hear a tick and the high pitched sound of a fan slowing way down, almost as though the PC is powering off. Neither has effected my performance so far. What's wrong with my system? I checked the cpu temp and all four cores seem to be running at 38-40C. I upgraded the BIOS to the most recent stable version and I checked to make sure no wires etc. were tripping or interfering with any of the fans on the board or in the case. The ambient temp in the room is about 28C. I don't do any overclocking so I can't really seem to justify the cost of a new cooler. What's wrong with the fan and how do I fix it? Thanks in advance!

P.S. Here are my specs:
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
intel i5 3570k
Corsair Vengeance 8 GB 1600
Nvidia Geforce BFG 9800 gt eco
Kingwin Lazer Platinum Series 550w PSU
Windows 8 64-bit

Solution

You may have clearance issues with your memory sticks if you have sticks in the first slot. The 212EVO sits close to the board. I have an EVO in the rig in my sig below. My Gigabyte board is quite similar to yours in...

gussrtk

Honorable
... ehh a lot of new system have the start up on full fan, dont know why... dont care... it works... doesnt really sound like that is anything wrong with your fan.. but if you do some gaming, i would say just upgrade to a 20$ CPU cooler, itll help you with temps and protect your cpu better. stock fans are not worth all that much

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Normally the fan starts out at full RPM untill the BIOS slows it down if CIE/Speed step is enabled. Then the system will increase/decrease fan speed as needed along with CPU freq as needed.

On the other hand, I had an i5 IB in a build I recently put together that did in fact have a bad stock cooler fan. Comparing it to another Intel cooler, it was obvious that the armature was incorrectly assembled.

RedRibbon

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Hi all, thanks for the good advice. I've been thinking I'll probably just replace the stock fan all together since I do some gaming. I've done some research and the Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo seems to be the standard for best value. But does anyone know if it will fit on my mobo or with my memory? I've heard people have had problems with that in the past, but I haven't seen anyone comment of whether it will fit with my models: GA-Z77X-UD5H and corsair vengeance 8 gb 1600 with the heat fins. Thanks again!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

You may have clearance issues with your memory sticks if you have sticks in the first slot. The 212EVO sits close to the board. I have an EVO in the rig in my sig below. My Gigabyte board is quite similar to yours in appearance. And I can't get a memory stick in my first slot:
dscn0001cf.jpg

(Dang, time to clean again)

Here is a cooler that is a bit less efficient than the EVO, but will still do the job. It sits quite a bit higher than the EVO and is a little smaller. I used it on an AMD build that had clearance issues. It cooled a PhIIX4 quite well.
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6602

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm... If you're saying the new cooler's fan doesn't seem to ever increase speed when stress testing, that could be an indication that the initial issue you were having is a bad MB PWM fan control. Or perhaps the BIOS version your board is using has a problem. Check to see if a new BIOS is available for your board. But be careful. There are 2 versions of that board: ver 1.0 and ver 1.1. I'm not sure if they both take the same BIOS or not. So be sure to go to the correct page for downloading it.

Ver 1.0: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4139#ov
Ver 1.1: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4440#ov

Edit: Before doing the above, try setting the CPU fan speed to max in BIOS and see if it ever increases speed like it is suppose to.