[SOLVED] i5 3570k Upgrade Inquiry

MJayMonkey

Honorable
Dec 4, 2016
Hey all,

I'm an i5 3570k owner for over a decade now and as proud ever of my little beast lurking beneath all the dusty aluminum. This CPU kicks ass for whatever I need to do for the most part.
That being said, I'm in the market for a new chip because I am getting into multi-threaded programming and would like to be able to easily run Visual Studio at the same time as I have a game open, an internet browser and whatever else I like with minimal performance loss.

Before you tell me to upgrade my RAM for having lots of applications open -- this I know. Specifically, I want to not lose any of the performance I enjoy when I start up multiple CPU-heavy tasks. In general, the i5 3570k does well with one or two big tasks, but by the nature of 4 cores and 4 threads (its really impressive it kicks ass still tbh) it drops off in performance as I increase the load.

Any suggestions on what would be a similar performance metric as this chip with a couple more cores and more threads?

BTW: Its base speed is 3.8 GHz and I have it set to around 4.4GHz with no problems. I have 16 GB RAM, a GTX 970 2GB and I just put in a new 700W PSU (my 650W just got fried after 10 long years, lol). Motherboard is just as old as the chip, something like Gigabyte Z72 etc... It's DDR4 compatible and I would like to not replace it if possible but really I probably will have to.

Lastly, Is there any significance in dropping down below the 14nm threshold? If so, where are some good chips in that department that also meet the 6+ core and several thread requirement?

Let me know you thoughts!

Thanks in advance.

Jason

Solution
The old i7 from that socket are way too overpriced for how awful they perform, they are still being sold here for 75 to 100 Euros, which is insanity.

Your best option is to wait a few months and purchase an i3 12100 with a budget H610 motherboard once they become available and have actual reviews on their VRM performance. The i3 12100 appears to be the new budget beast as it nearly outperforms even the previous budget king, i5 11400F. It's performance is FAR surperior to your 3570 or the best processor you can put in that motherboard, which is most likely the i7 2600k. Though it does have 4 cores.

jeremy0118

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2016
The old i7 from that socket are way too overpriced for how awful they perform, they are still being sold here for 75 to 100 Euros, which is insanity.

Your best option is to wait a few months and purchase an i3 12100 with a budget H610 motherboard once they become available and have actual reviews on their VRM performance. The i3 12100 appears to be the new budget beast as it nearly outperforms even the previous budget king, i5 11400F. It's performance is FAR surperior to your 3570 or the best processor you can put in that motherboard, which is most likely the i7 2600k. Though it does have 4 cores.

Last edited:
Solution
Sounds like a deffo full system upgrade but you dont state your budget. The non K 12th gen sku's are just surfacing and so are the non Z series LGA 1700 mobos.
Best part of 10 years with the 3rd gen, you have got all the value out of it too so respect to you for not getting the upgrade itch until now.
The unknown at the moment is how DDR5 is going to price itself over the coming months as - right now - its ridiculously expenvise and hard to find in stock.

Mahisse

Distinguished
Had to bite the bullet when wanted to upgrade from 3570K myself. For intel there is really not future proofing when they change the socket so many times :).. That said, as you the 3570K has just been a joy for a decade.

I ended up getting a i7 12700K, new MB, new RAM and new cooler.. A pricey upgrade but I can only hope this new built will last for decade as well, then I think it's a fair investment

Jan 21, 2022
The only real upgrade on that platform is to an i7-4790k i7-3770k CPU.

Anything further than that will require a total rebuild....RAM/CPU/motherboard. Probably PSU.
What about 8T Xeon E3-1240 v2? Little bit cheaper and easy to obtain. If you stay at 1155 platform.