[SOLVED] i5-4460 not booting windows on Gigabyte H81M-S2H mobo with iGPU

edikecske

Prominent
Dec 14, 2021
Hello. My i5-4460 can't boot Windows with my Gigabyte H81M-S2H mobo. I tried reinstalling Windows but as the automatic update installed Intel HD Graphics drivers, my monitor went black. I can go to BIOS tho and it recognises the CPU. If I use a dedicated GPU the PC works as it has to. It is possible that my i5 has an iGPU problem? I have a Pentium G3460 and it is working perfectly with iGPU.
I tried BIOS update but I have the same problem.
Thanks in advance. :)

edikecske

Prominent
Dec 14, 2021
Do you think it is repairable? I thought about reflowing it like when you reflow a GPU if it has issues. I searched for desktop CPU reflow on several sites but I didn't find anything about it.

It could also be that Win update f$%ked up and installed wrong iGPU driver - happened to me before. As I understand you have access to GPU, so you can use that to run Windows to uninstall current iGPU driver and manually install correct one. Note that even if it will help, Windows can be a bit stubborn and might try to override your choice by installing wrong driver again at next update check.

Dec 15, 2021
Hello. My i5-4460 can't boot Windows with my Gigabyte H81M-S2H mobo. I tried reinstalling Windows but as the automatic update installed Intel HD Graphics drivers, my monitor went black. I can go to BIOS tho and it recognises the CPU. If I use a dedicated GPU the PC works as it has to. It is possible that my i5 has an iGPU problem? I have a Pentium G3460 and it is working perfectly with iGPU.
I tried BIOS update but I have the same problem.
Thanks in advance. :)

Hi - I'm new to the board and this thread caught my attention as the first post of interest since I'm scouting for a new mobo and CPU. I've had a frustrating past few weeks with my Win 10 Pro 21H2 build and Microsoft is forcing security updates. In my case, KB5007186 cumulative update. It keeps installing, failing and uninstalling in a scheduled loop. Here's what I think I've discovered that may be at the root of your issue. If you review this link from MS, you'll find there is no support of i5 4th Gen CPU's for Win 10 21H2. (My machine is running an i5 4670K and Gigabyte G1 Z87 board) Windows 10 21H2 Supported Intel Processors

I've spent endless hours troubleshooting this and there is no other explanation than the legacy CPU and chipset that are incompatible with TPM that Win 10 and Win 11 rely on. I think I've been lucky that my system has run as well as it has for this long with such an older model CPU.

I hope this helps. Good luck

Best

Colif

Win 11 Master
Windows 10 shouldn't be enforcing tpm now. Thats main reason many people aren't getting 11.

It seems odd to me that if processor isn't supported by 21H2 then how come it was offered as an update? Windows can tell what you have, it already restricts updates based on parts.

@USAFRet have you had any problems? your pc is similar specs?

USAFRet

Titan
@USAFRet have you had any problems? your pc is similar specs?
Mine (specs below) is doing the 21H2 as we speak.
yHoeePf.png

BlueMnM might be onto something here. Note that OP mentioned GPU works fine, its only iGPU that fails. It's not far fetched to assume that if his CPU is not supported in given Win version then it might also not have working iGPU drivers for that version. Or that the drivers he had before update no longer work after the update. Of course we don't know OPs Win version so that's a speculation a this point.

Colif

Win 11 Master
one thing, the i5 4460 isn't even on this page - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...ed/windows-10-1511-supported-intel-processors
and that is the release version of win 10 and I know my If 4690K ran win 10 fine for 4 years without any problems.

So just cause its not on page doesn't mean it didn't work. We have a thread here about what is most potato like PC you installed 10 on, and oldest isn't a Gen 4 Intel Core.

USAFRet

Titan
We have a thread here about what is most potato like PC you installed 10 on, and oldest isn't a Gen 4 Intel Core.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Or that the drivers he had before update no longer work after the update. Of course we don't know OPs Win version so that's a speculation a this point.
Historically win 10 hasn't disabled drivers if they are installed. It can stop you installing old drivers but if you say updated a win 7 PC to 10, it would continue to use those drivers. New drivers have to be digitally signed to work with 10. I haven't seen drivers that are specific to versions apart from setting minimum version they work on. If they do disable drivers on the fly, it could explain why some WIFI drivers suddenly start being bad even though they worked perfectly fine before.

I am curious if IGPU on CPU works if booted of an Ubuntu Live usb. would tell us if its a windows driver thing - https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#1-overview

edikecske

Prominent
Dec 14, 2021
I deleted all drivers in safe mode and installed Intel drivers in normal mode as you guys suggested. During the installation the usual black sreen came up, when you install any GPU drivers, but it didn't go away. I got a VIDEO TDR FAILURE blue screen error with igdkmd64.sys.

Hi - I'm new to the board and this thread caught my attention as the first post of interest since I'm scouting for a new mobo and CPU. I've had a frustrating past few weeks with my Win 10 Pro 21H2 build and Microsoft is forcing security updates. In my case, KB5007186 cumulative update. It keeps installing, failing and uninstalling in a scheduled loop. Here's what I think I've discovered that may be at the root of your issue. If you review this link from MS, you'll find there is no support of i5 4th Gen CPU's for Win 10 21H2. (My machine is running an i5 4670K and Gigabyte G1 Z87 board) Windows 10 21H2 Supported Intel Processors

I've spent endless hours troubleshooting this and there is no other explanation than the legacy CPU and chipset that are incompatible with TPM that Win 10 and Win 11 rely on. I think I've been lucky that my system has run as well as it has for this long with such an older model CPU.

I hope this helps. Good luck

Best
Odd since it is running fine on my old I5 3570K

Around a week ago I fresh installed the latest version of Windows 10 from Microsoft's site onto a Core 2 quad system that is far older.

Windows 10 does not need tpm and will run perfectly fine on haswell.

The issue lies elsewhere. Try an older driver version.

If you cannot get that working, try to reseat ram. the igpu uses system ram as VRAM so although it is a stretch it might help. It possible the igpu has a problem.

Dec 15, 2021
After completion and reboot:
Bq18vZb.png

Seems to be running just fine.
Odd since it is running fine on my old I5 3570K

What motherboard and chipset are you running? It's worth mentioning that just because a CPU isn't listed in the stated documentation of Microsoft, doesn't mean it won't work. As updates for security are rolled out in the name of making Windows XX better, safer, more stable etc,, the probabilities increase that a failure is going to occur at some point due to the design of the CPU. I'm not too worked up about having to upgrade my CPU/mobo at this point after 6 or 7 years of service. I might build a Kali Linux box out of the repurposed Gen 4 i5 system. It's not going to bring much as used components.

Last edited:
What motherboard and chipset are you running? It's worth mentioning that just because a CPU isn't listed in the stated documentation of Microsoft, doesn't mean it won't work. As updates for security are rolled out in the name of making Windows XX better, safer, more stable etc,, the probabilities increase that a failure is going to occur at some point due to the design of the CPU. I'm not too worked up about having to upgrade my CPU/mobo at this point after 6 or 7 years of service. I might build a Kali Linux box out of the repurposed Gen 4 i5 system. It's not going to bring much as used components.
Asus Z77v-lk