i5 4670k + Hyper 212 evo running hot

AustinO

Reputable
May 29, 2014
I just got my hyper 212 evo yesterday, I installed it with arctic silver 5 and tested it out. Just running the stock clock Im hitting almost 90c in one of the cores during prime95 tests and that seems really high to me. Any ideas what i could have done wrong? I want to have some overclocking headroom but this doesnt look very good.

Solution
Artic Silver needs time to mature before full cooling potential will occur; however, that is absurdly not normal. I would remove the cooler, reapply the paste using the pea or grain of rice method and then install the cooler again. Make sure that the cooler does not wiggle much. My Hyper 212 Evo moves to the side back and forth slightly but nothing bad. There is a little notch that the splitting bracket rests against on the heatsink. It can be kind of difficult to get it there but it just takes some wiggle work. Make sure to not keep removing the heatsink once you have placed it on the CPU. You could possibly have to reapply the thermal paste as lifting it off of the CPU could result in ridge and waves in the paste and introduce air...

Leonell12

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013

make sure that the cooler is tightly screwed into the backplate and is making full contact with the cpu...make sure you applied the thermal paste right, get the cooler out, clean the thermal paste with some isopropyl alcohol 99% and microfibre cloth and then re-apply thermal paste...here's a video on thermal paste applying methods https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hNgFNH7zhQ

kira70591

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
Artic Silver needs time to mature before full cooling potential will occur; however, that is absurdly not normal. I would remove the cooler, reapply the paste using the pea or grain of rice method and then install the cooler again. Make sure that the cooler does not wiggle much. My Hyper 212 Evo moves to the side back and forth slightly but nothing bad. There is a little notch that the splitting bracket rests against on the heatsink. It can be kind of difficult to get it there but it just takes some wiggle work. Make sure to not keep removing the heatsink once you have placed it on the CPU. You could possibly have to reapply the thermal paste as lifting it off of the CPU could result in ridge and waves in the paste and introduce air bubbles in the paste and uneven spreading.

Solution

zaysk

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Yeah, do what the others have said because those temps are NOT normal at stock frequencies. I have the same CPU/Cooler and my 4670k reaches 85 max @ 4.4GHz - 1.240 volts.