i5 4690 70-80 degrees under load

handsomepigeon

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016
I was getting up to 90 degrees while playing GTA so I've just reapplied thermal paste but I'm still getting pretty high temps. It will usually peak at 79 degrees and rarely goes into 80 unless for a second.

Is this ok?

Specs:
i5 4690 (non k)
GTX 960 2g
8GB DDR3 RAM
CIT Vantage Case
Z97 Pro Gamer Motherboard

handsomepigeon

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016

arctic silver 5
Intel stock heatsink
Does ambient temp = room temp? Then my room is set to 15 degrees celsius

Your room is 15 C? Wow, that is pretty cold. With the stock heat sink it will get pretty warm so that those temps actually don't surprise me much.

Arctic Silver 5 is good thermal paste, so far in my experience, the only thing I've found that out performs it in my tests is Thermal Grizzly's Kryonuat. So people can say what they want about it being dated, it's still my old stand by, good stuff.

An aftermarket heatsink would help your temps quite a bit.

With the stock heatsink installed I agree those temps aren't anything to worry about. I am using a 212 Evo with my 4690K. The Cryorig H7 would be a good upgrade if you want to bring those temps. down.

handsomepigeon

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016

Unfortunately it's not my choice :/

I'm changing PC case to something more spacious than my CIT vantage (it's very cramped) so maybe that will help with temps. I'll let you know.

Ik that I only have a stock cooler but I've heard that it's all you need if you're not OC

It is all you need. It works. Just don't expect ice cold temps. Although in your room temps I would have expected a little lower temps.

handsomepigeon

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016

Changed my case and the temps are a lot better now