i5-4690k bottlenecking a gtx 1070 amp

Skybella

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016
I have an i5-4690k and a gtx 1070 and I looked at the bottleneck thread on the forum and it says this cpu might bottleneck my card. If this is true should I overclock? I have a hyper212x and not worried about temps but I don't really know where to start, or what performance gain it would give me.

Solution

Hi,

I use the exact same CPU paired with a EVGA 1070 SC. I've never experienced any sort of bottleneck. Yes the cpu runs at 100% all the time whilst I'm playing AAA games like Witcher 3 and GTA V, but that's the goal is it not..? To use all the available CPU resources at your disposal. Honestly you could look at overclocking like I did. Mine runs at 4.4GHz currently using a Corsair H100i GTX and it gave me about 7 extra fps in game which is respectable enough. With hyper212x you should easily get 4.2GHz which should give you a nice boost over stock speeds. Just make...

fedefury

Honorable
Jun 18, 2016
u should have no problem overclocking ur cpu. Do u see any difference in performance which might cause a suspicion for bottlenecking? if not, there absolutely no need to overclock as it won't produce much of a difference. If you notice a difference, I say go for it, but thats only when really necessary. :)

Skybella

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016
ok thanks for the advice, I think when i upgrade to 1440p and start getting possible performance hits i'll think about overclocking.
(no idea how to reply on phone)

Charl15

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017

Hi,

I use the exact same CPU paired with a EVGA 1070 SC. I've never experienced any sort of bottleneck. Yes the cpu runs at 100% all the time whilst I'm playing AAA games like Witcher 3 and GTA V, but that's the goal is it not..? To use all the available CPU resources at your disposal. Honestly you could look at overclocking like I did. Mine runs at 4.4GHz currently using a Corsair H100i GTX and it gave me about 7 extra fps in game which is respectable enough. With hyper212x you should easily get 4.2GHz which should give you a nice boost over stock speeds. Just make sure to manually set the core voltages when overclocking and not leave it on auto volts. The motherboard bios often input more volts into the chip than is necessary to achieve that sort of overclock. (More volts equals more heat and you don't want that) If you are worried about temps whilst overclocking on that aircooler just make sure to apply decent heatsink paste at regular intervals (at least once a year) and keep the cooler clean of dust and stuff.

Solution