i5 4690K OC halp

BlueWonder

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
Trying to OC my i5 4690K, but I don't know the first thing about OC'ing, such as how voltages work and how they tie in to the Mhz and that kind of stuff. This question has been answered over and over again but I'm looking for exact responses, as those seem to help over archived posts from a while back.

I have a Corsair H100i GTX AIO, and if you also have an H100i with an 4690, mind steering me in the right direction and what you were able to safely achieve with my exact same specs?

Any help is appreciated, help a brother out before he melts his CPU by accident.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
i got a good 4690k, 1.23v 4.6ghz stable, if you wanna oc never go over 1.35v, thats the max you want your voltage.

try 4.4ghz at 1.23v, stress test it, and if its stable, try getting 4.5 or 4.6 , you wont get 4.7 or 4.8 though at voltage that low unless jesus is touching your pc.

4.8ghz was attainable for me at 1,35v, but from 4.6-4.8 going from 1.23v to 1.35v is not worth it.

my cooler is about as good as yours but air (cryorig r1 ultimate) and it doesnt even touch 60c at 4,6ghz.

KKAW

Admirable

What motherbord do you use?

theunliked

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
You can't overclock a 4690, because it is locked. The i5-4690k is a great overclocker. I know because I have one. All you do when overclocking is just raising the multiplier in the bios. Raise it slightly, then run prime95 for 10 mins. if temps are under 75 and pc is stable you're all good. Go back into bois and raise multiplier again. Keep repeating until pc is unstable or temps are high. If the pc is unstable, you have the choice to back down or raise the voltage. If the temps are high, you'll have to lower the multiplier. You always want to keep the voltage as low as possible, because the voltage is what causes the heat.

Voltages do NOT really tie in to the MHz. Raising the voltage alone will not make the computer faster. It enables you to raise the clock higher without crashing.
I do not have the h100i, so I cannot say. Its cpu lottery, really. Some cpus overclock better than others, even if they are the same model and brand. I was able to hit 4.5GHz on the hyper 212x. Your cooler is better than mine, so your temps should also be better. I get about 65C in prime @ 4.4GHz (what I'm running now). I'm guessing you are overclocking just for fun, because the i5-4690k is pretty powerful in itself. If you are overclocking just for the extra performance, you can use a overclock profile in the bios. (i dont know if you have it).

lodders

Admirable
Simple overclock
In the BIOS
Set the Vcore voltage to 1.2Volts.
Turn off turbo boost
Turn up the CPU multiplier to 43

Use your computer normally.

If it crashes at all, increase Vcore to 1.25Volts.

Ask for more advice if it doesn't work

BlueWonder

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015

*i5 4690k at 4.2Ghz with stock cooler*
If you told me to set my voltage to 1.4 I would've done it with that kind of rep, will do, gonna try it now

Arronleeds

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
i got a good 4690k, 1.23v 4.6ghz stable, if you wanna oc never go over 1.35v, thats the max you want your voltage.

try 4.4ghz at 1.23v, stress test it, and if its stable, try getting 4.5 or 4.6 , you wont get 4.7 or 4.8 though at voltage that low unless jesus is touching your pc.

4.8ghz was attainable for me at 1,35v, but from 4.6-4.8 going from 1.23v to 1.35v is not worth it.

my cooler is about as good as yours but air (cryorig r1 ultimate) and it doesnt even touch 60c at 4,6ghz.

Solution