i5-4690k OC'd to 4.4 ghz @1.104 is this normal?

David Padilla

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
Honestly pretty new at OCing and been very careful in following as many possible guide. I oc'd my i5 to 4.4 ghz @ 1.104 max temps @ 72* C, but from many guides I have read through, the voltage seems low. I have and am stress testing using prime95 FTT currently running for the 15th hour and so far its been stable.
Questions Are:
Is it possible i did something wrong? I been using Core temp HWmonitor and CPUID. possible that these program not really reading the voltage properly? any suggestion on other methods? don't want to mess up my rig thru plain stupidity. Sorry for the winded paragraph and thnx for any possible help.

Solution
If you don't get errors while testing and the temperature is fine (it is) then you don't have a problem.

The voltage they used in the following article was 1.175V which is a bit higher:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8227/devils-canyon-review-intel-core-i7-4790k-and-i5-4690k/2

All CPU's even of the same model vary slightly in their voltage requirements at a particular setting so again if stress testing is fine then no worries.

Other:
You should note you can often use a quick overclock in most Z97 motherboards that should go to at least 4.2GHz while keeping the optimal power management in place.

Also note you should verify the DDR3 memory is correct.

In my case I played around with the "XMP" and the "OC tuner" on my Asus motherboard...
If you don't get errors while testing and the temperature is fine (it is) then you don't have a problem.

The voltage they used in the following article was 1.175V which is a bit higher:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8227/devils-canyon-review-intel-core-i7-4790k-and-i5-4690k/2

All CPU's even of the same model vary slightly in their voltage requirements at a particular setting so again if stress testing is fine then no worries.

Other:
You should note you can often use a quick overclock in most Z97 motherboards that should go to at least 4.2GHz while keeping the optimal power management in place.

Also note you should verify the DDR3 memory is correct.

In my case I played around with the "XMP" and the "OC tuner" on my Asus motherboard and ended up with 4.2GHz but that's for an i7-3770K. When I tried to overclock to 4.5GHz my temperature went up about 20degC. That was still fine however I just went back to the default quick overclock since my CPU wasn't much of a bottleneck anyway at "only" 4.2GHz.

Solution