[SOLVED] I5-4690K Overheating, New Thermal paste and cooler.

RobbeyRobert

Honorable
May 10, 2015
Hello! I have a weird issue with my i5 4690K, if i boot the system up and use it for 15-20 minutes it explodes in temperatures, like 70-90 C with stock cooling and even with aftermarket Coooler.

i was told that somebody might have OC'd it and probably applied incorrect higher voltage to it. Would that damage the CPU so bad that it runs on abnormal high Temperatures than it normally would ?!

Other than temps it runs just as you would expect it to.

Thanks in advance to anyone replying. !

Forgot to include build:
Asus b85-plus
I5 4690k

Solution
A defective intel processor is very uncommon.
How are measuring temperature at idle?
Look in the bios for that base number.
What is your ambient temperature?
All cooling starts at that temperature and at idle, perhaps 10-15c. more.

I think I might change out the cooler, regardless.
I found this disturbing review comment on newegg:

Metal back plate shorted my system and caused it to freeze. Could have potentially killed my pc if I didn't catch it in time. The foam on it really isn't enough to keep the leads of capacitors and voltage regulators from touching the back plate. After I removed it I can see that the leads did manage to make contact onto the metal back plate shorting them. I decided to use rubber washers and the screws that...
What aftermarket cooler?
Probably cooler not installed properly or broken cooler.

If your cpu is overclocked and you don't know, how to reverse it, then go into BIOS and reset BIOS settings to safe defaults. That should remove any overclocks.

Can you show screenshots from CPU-Z - cpu, motherboard, memory, spd sections?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

The temps will only go up suddenly if a load is put on the CPU. If it was electrically defective it would have an issue right at start up.

Since you've run both the stock cooler and an aftermarket one you can rule out a defective cooler.

So you need to figure out whats running on your PC that's hammering the CPU. Open up Task Manager and monitor whats running when the temps suddenly go up.

Reactions: RobbeyRobert

RobbeyRobert

Honorable
May 10, 2015
What aftermarket cooler?
Probably cooler not installed properly or broken cooler.

If your cpu is overclocked and you don't know, how to reverse it, then go into BIOS and reset BIOS settings to safe defaults. That should remove any overclocks.

Can you show screenshots from CPU-Z - cpu, motherboard, memory, spd sections?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

It's not overclocked. it is running on stock speeds. Nothing is touched in the bios, as matter of fact, i even tried undervolting it and getting same temps and fans blasting all the time.

RobbeyRobert

Honorable
May 10, 2015
The temps will only go up suddenly if a load is put on the CPU. If it was electrically defective it would have an issue right at start up.

Since you've run both the stock cooler and an aftermarket one you can rule out a defective cooler.

So you need to figure out whats running on your PC that's hammering the CPU. Open up Task Manager and monitor whats running when the temps suddenly go up.

I don't run anything, it heats up by itself after 10 minutes, may that be in bios or isntalling windows or in safe mode. No overclock or anything, bios is on defaults.

Have you reset the BIOS to make sure there's no overclock profile being applied ? If an overclock profile was saved and selected as the boot profile in the past it will load that profile regardless of options you select in the BIOS...you should delete any saved profiles, if any, in the BIOS.

Also you can try running with the PC case open and a fan pointing into the interior. If it still happens I would remount the CPU cooler taking care to apply only a thin even layer of thermal paste over the CPU heat spreader when mounting the cooler.

RobbeyRobert

Honorable
May 10, 2015
Have you reset the BIOS to make sure there's no overclock profile being applied ? If an overclock profile was saved and selected as the boot profile in the past it will load that profile regardless of options you select in the BIOS...you should delete any saved profiles, if any, in the BIOS.

Also you can try running with the PC case open and a fan pointing into the interior. If it still happens I would remount the CPU cooler taking care to apply only a thin even layer of thermal paste over the CPU heat spreader when mounting the cooler.
There's nothing much i can do to the bios, it's at Defaults, stock everything, other than boot options.
I tried that too, same results, it might be warm in the room but not that warm.
Cooler is TT Silent Frio 12 or smthing like that, i think it's for 100W Cpu's, the thermal paste is applied evenly on the surface.

RobbeyRobert

Honorable
May 10, 2015
We still haven't seen any photos.

As mentioned before - probably improperly installed cooler.
Or cpu cooler fan has died.

BTW - what pc case are you using? How many fans in the system?
Photo of the pc case/system would be good too.
Sorry i can't take pictures, i forgot to mention that i am not at home, returning after a week and half.

Have you heard of any CPU's that might go crazy and heat up unexpectedly ? i just want to eliminate the thought that it could be a defective Cpu.

oh and we tested it in another board and we got same results.

air circulation is ok in the case. it's not a Mini case.

A defective intel processor is very uncommon.
How are measuring temperature at idle?
Look in the bios for that base number.
What is your ambient temperature?
All cooling starts at that temperature and at idle, perhaps 10-15c. more.

I think I might change out the cooler, regardless.
I found this disturbing review comment on newegg:

Metal back plate shorted my system and caused it to freeze. Could have potentially killed my pc if I didn't catch it in time. The foam on it really isn't enough to keep the leads of capacitors and voltage regulators from touching the back plate. After I removed it I can see that the leads did manage to make contact onto the metal back plate shorting them. I decided to use rubber washers and the screws that came with the product to mount it to my board and it's working pretty well now. I feel that the heat sink can be moved too easily. You can easily turn it even though it's mounted on tight on which can potentially mess up the way you spread your thermal paste.

What is the make/model of your case and what is the fan arrangement?
Any cooler needs a good source of fresh air to let it do it's job.

Do not worry about heat damage to your cpu.
It will monitor it's own temperature and will slow down or shut off if it detects a dangerous temperature.
That point is about 100c.

I think your current cooler(or the stock cooler) is weaker than you want.
Noctua makes top quality coolers that are easy to install.
Here is a suitability list for the 4690k
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/Intel-Core-i5-4690K-202

Your case will determine what height is available for a cooler.
I might suggest the noctua NH-U12s redux if you have 158mm available:
https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nf-p12-redux-1700-pwm/p/13C-0005-001N1?quicklink=true

Solution