I5 4690k temps d

Shawnyboy

Reputable
Oct 21, 2015
My idle temps are around 30 Celsius. Wondering if that's normal becuase when I look into farheinight it idles at around 80 and can go as high as 100 when gaming

My 4690K is idling right now as I type this at 29C in software monitoring with a large aftermarket cooler (Notcua NH-D14). Ambient temp indoor is about 72F right now just to give you a reference. If you are only hitting 100F when gaming that is remarkable, because I'm hitting upper 40s in Celsius when gaming (~120F) at stock 3.9GHz turbo speed on all four cores.

Nordein

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014

It is completely safe. Idling 30 Cel is very nice, the hardware is designed to have high thermal limits that is why we have coolers on them. When I told my parents how hot my computer parts get they were shocked and afraid if my computer would melt but that is not the case. You should only be worried if you start getting closer to the thermal limit of whatever piece of hardware you have. For your CPU, iv you start approaching 70 deg Cel than that can be an issue, anything higher than that is definitely a cause for concern.

Those temps sound fine. Most temps referenced are in C, not in F. 30c, a fairly normal idle temp is 86F. 40c is 104F, so a smaller rise in celsius will appear as a larger jump in fahrenheit. Under stress tests when overclocked my 4690k reaches 75c which is 167F. Gaming loads depends on the game, usually around 50-60c depending on the game. That's using a larger air cooler like 10tacle with ambient temps ranging anywhere from 71f to 78f depending how high my heat is turned up.