Question i5 6400 50 degrees idle

enzzne

Reputable
Jun 13, 2016
I recently upgraded from the stock intel cooler on my 6400 to the gamdias e1a 120 AIO liquid cooler. I was not monitoring the temps I was getting with the stock cooler so I can't say if there's a difference. When I boot the computer the temps on all cores start at around 70 degrees before slowly falling into the neighbourhood of 40-50. I close every background task that uses more than 10% of my cpu and leave it for an hour to test idle. I've tried reseating my new cooler twice with new paste (corsair tm30) and there is no change. Feeling the pump it is warm, which tells me it is seated correctly, and it is very securely fastened to my board. I tested the idle temps without any cooler on it (tell me if I'm not supposed to do this, it feels wrong) and it gets up to the 90s before levelling out in 70s, however i only tested this for about 5 minutes.

Something to note; both HWMonitor (test utility) and task manager report my utilization at 10% or below constantly, and the chip only draws 15W. I can post screenshots if they would be helpful. Something which caught my eye is that the whole time during idle testing my clock was consistently nearing the 6400's max boost of 3.3GHz even though there was nothing running other than task manager and HWMonitor. This seems really weird to me but I really don't know much about cpus or their operation.

One thing that I suspect could have caused this was I was unaware that you're supposed to replace your thermal paste every 2-3 years; I've been using the same cooler with the same paste since 2015. When I removed the cooler yesterday the paste was hard to the touch. Could this have caused permanent damage to my chip?

I'm about to try resetting my cpu to default values (I don't remember ever changing anything other than unparking) and then try updating my bios. Please help me out I'm so bored in quarantine :(

Edit: Under load (playing csgo) the cpu is between 90 and 100 degrees. Also when I'm in game my clock speed goes down to 2.1-.6 GHz (usually 2.2) which doesnt make any sense because the utilization goes up to between 70-80%. While the game is open the clock speed doesnt go above the base clock of 2.7, but as soon as I close the app I'm back up to 3.2 ish with 30% utilization. This is super frustrating because I'm already getting much worse performance than I used to with my setup at 1080p medium-ish settings

My specs:
i5 6400
3GB evga 1060
8 gb ram (rarely ever sees more than 70% usage)
csgo is on my ssd

I'm barely getting more than 100fps in csgo dust 2... I don't know what's going on

Last edited:
One would think a 120mm radiator would handle an i5-6400...

Does the radiator get warm? can you feel /hear fluids going thru it with fans unplugged?

Apply a new layer of paste after thoroughly cleaning off the old gunk...

If the cpu throttled at 100C as designed, it should not hurt it...

enzzne

Reputable
Jun 13, 2016
One would think a 120mm radiator would handle an i5-6400...

Does the radiator get warm? can you feel /hear fluids going thru it with fans unplugged?

Apply a new layer of paste after thoroughly cleaning off the old gunk...

If the cpu throttled at 100C as designed, it should not hurt it...

I'm not sure what that sounds like... would it be obvious? (This is my first venture into watercooling) The radiator was not noticeably warm to the touch