i5 6500 box upper side seems to have taken hit?

John699

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
So today I got all my systems and everything seems to be just fine except the i5 6500 box seems like it took some hit while exporting as the box appears like slightly bend on the upper side but when I opened the box no damage inside as I know they make all these boxes really durable so it doesn't harm the products inside.

Should I need to worry about anything or just assemble everything and call it the day?

Solution
agreed.
Besides, what other choice do you have aside from testing.

1) Memtest86 www.memtest86.com

2) Intel CPU diagnostic https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

The CPU diagnostic will give you a PASS if there are no issues (run all tests initially on default or XMP settings).

FYI, if I run the CPU diagnostic on my i7-3770K it temporarily runs at 3.5GHz which means it throws out my overclock and also disables Turbo Boost. Why? I have to REBOOT or it stays locked to this.
agreed.
Besides, what other choice do you have aside from testing.

1) Memtest86 www.memtest86.com

2) Intel CPU diagnostic https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

The CPU diagnostic will give you a PASS if there are no issues (run all tests initially on default or XMP settings).

FYI, if I run the CPU diagnostic on my i7-3770K it temporarily runs at 3.5GHz which means it throws out my overclock and also disables Turbo Boost. Why? I have to REBOOT or it stays locked to this.

Solution

John699

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
I was amazed when I discovered that the metal cover on top of cpu is actually a heatsink itself and it can beat any pressure you imply on it so yeah now I'm confident it's safe also some people had opened the metal cover to change the grease between them as intel has been criticized for using very low quality probably a Chinese heat sink compound as people who went through that hurdle saw at least 10°c decline on stock cooler and if your using after market or say liquid cooler then man you could even go as far as 20°c on 100% load....it's no myth it's a fact.
Shame on intel for using so low quality Chinese thermal paste.

The top of the CPU isn't really a heatsink (it's not designed to dissipate heat), its a heatspreader.

As for Intel's choice of TIM, they do their research and find the best cost/performance ratio and use that. The stuff they use gets the job done. For most of us here, the stock heatsink never touches the CPU, so Intel's choice of TIM doesn't really concern us. I can't remember the last time I used a stock heatsink, maybe my PIII 1GHz.

John699

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016

Well only if Intel would use a better thermal paste between the heat spreader and chip then nobody on earth would have to use or spend money to buy after market cooler as the decline in temps are quite extraordinary.....it's a logical sense no rocket sense if your base paste is rock solid then the processor wouldn't get that hot in the very first place and people who spent a lot on after market cooler and liquid cooling will save some bucks themselves.
Now you say hey Intel needs to research and come up with some nice ratio of cost/performance.....well increasing the cost by 5-10 bucks wouldn't even get noticed....but the fact is that Intel is just some money grabbing company...it only require a pea size paste and according to you I think that pea size would cost intel 100 bucks....dude be realistic here.

I've never seen any reputable site with objective data showing that Intel supplied TIM produces 10C higher temperatures. Not too sure what "rocket sense" is, perhaps "rocket science" is the phrase you were looking for. However we all appreciate that you speak for all of us on earth with regards to aftermarket cooling. As for Intel being a money grubbing company, well sure they are, so is AMD, nVidia, Samsung, yadda, yadda, yadda. They are all in the business of making money. They employ a lot of people, they have a lot of shareholder to answer to, they need to make a lot of money. Just ask IBM whose laying off a huge percentage of their workforce right now.

Changing the TIM on a stock cooler to even the best aftermarket TIM (liquid metal, or diamond paste) would never reduce the heat / noise of the stock cooler enough for a power user to make them keep the stock cooler. Never gonna happen. In most cases we are talking a temperature delta of 15C at load (at stock speeds) between a stock cooler versus aftermarket.

So ultimately if you want a cool and quiet computer, then you're going to be buying an aftermarket cooler and aftermarket paste as well (or using the paste that comes with the aftermarket cooler) to achieve those results.

I think I might have misunderstood the paste you are badmouthing. Initially I thought you were talking about the paste preapplied to the heatsink. Now I understand that it's the TIM between the die and the heatspreader. This is referred to as delidding, whereby you remove the heatspreader to expose the die and replace the TIM beneath the heatspreader. This I've seen "can" make a significant difference. Though from what has been discovered this isn't so much a difference in the TIM as it is about the removal of the epoxy / glue that holds the heatspreader to the substrate. They've found that once this glue is removed, that the heatspreader actually sits closer to the die and thus results in a thinner layer of TIM between the die and the heatspreader. As with any TIM, the thinner the better, it's only there to provide a heat conductive interface in the gaps where air would be. Any thicker layer results in poor heat transfer.

Ultimately Intel needs to go back to soldering the die to the heatspreader, though this would upset the group of people who like to cool the die directly (albeit a small percentage of users). I'm not sure of Intel's reasoning to switch the manufacturing process away from soldering, I'm sure there must have been a reason though.

TIM:
Intel addressed this issue when they did the Haswell Refresh updates to that CPU line. I can't speak for Skylake but I haven't heard anything bad about cooling issues for this CPU.

I'm fairly comfortable Intel has a handle on what's mostly optimal for CPU creation.

BENDING has been an issue for some of the Skylake CPU's (especially when moving pre-built systems with large coolers) but that's largely a nonissue.

*Don't forget to update the motherboard BIOS!! (some CPU errata issues have been fixed)