i5 6500 stock cooler temps

dragonelf37

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Heya Community,

I just build a skylake build for my mate with a I5 6500 and the stock cooler. Just for the lolz i started the Prime95 64bits. The temps spiked hard. The temps i recorded before stopping the benchmark.

Idle: 43-45 C
Overwatch: 60-70 C
Prime95: 98 C

Idle Temp in Bios: 34-38 C

When the prime95 hit the 98C i closed it. Until now i didnt do anything. But i will clean the CPU and the standard Intel Thermalpaste. However i do not expect a huge decrease in temps. Does anyone have any idea what these extreme temps could mean?

Solution
Intel recommends low 70's I believe for optimal life of the CPU.

It's not a huge issue, however I'd get a better cooler simply to reduce fan noise. The Cryorig H7 is a good cooler, then adjust the motherboard fan control software (install if not).

For example:
40% fan speed until 45degC, then ramp up
It means you're using a stock cooler :)

Also, Prime95 is not a very good test of the temperatures you can expect while using the computer normally. This is because it tests literally every instruction set your CPU has, all at once. Even if you were gaming, streaming and video editing all at once, you wouldn't see temps as high as the Prime95 results.

My expectation for gaming temperatures in that machine: high 70s, low 80s. Anything under 85C is fine.

Intel recommends low 70's I believe for optimal life of the CPU.

It's not a huge issue, however I'd get a better cooler simply to reduce fan noise. The Cryorig H7 is a good cooler, then adjust the motherboard fan control software (install if not).

For example:
40% fan speed until 45degC, then ramp up

Solution