i5 6600K and GeForce GTX 1060

loganmcfar

Reputable
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I am new to the building community and I wanted to post this thread to ask you guys how this build is. This is one of my first builds I have made, so sorry if i have made some newbie mistakes in my build. I will mainly be using this build for gaming. Games such as ...

GTA 5
Player Unkown's Battlegrounds
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
Rust
ARK: Survival Evolved

And some other games that need good rigs to run well. My build includes...

Intel - Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING X Video Card
Asus - Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Corsair - 200R ATX Mid Tower Case

For more information on my build, you can go here
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rwCWvV

Thank you for your time,

Logan

Archer27

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016
Excellent Power Supply Choice
Excellent Cooler Choice
Excellent Case Choice

I would personally recommend against an i5 at this point in time, or any quad core without hyperthreading for that matter. The future of gaming seems to be trending towards more threads/cores at least until quantum computing reaches the mainstream in the distant future.

The 6600K is already outdated(it's been out since 2015) as the 7600K has been out and replaced it and is roughly the same price(and faster) and Coffee Lake(8xxx) is right around the corner. I would wait until august for coffee lake or go with an AMD Ryzen chip.

The Z170 chipset should also be crossed off that list as it is also dated.

You should be looking at a Z270(7600K) or Z370(Coffee lake i assume with be 8600K) for intel or an AM4 board for a Ryzen CPU.

The 1060 is OK, but NVIDIA will be releasing new cards soon and I would wait for them. Should be this year according to varying sources.

Don't buy 2 year old tech, it's better to buy current.