Question i5 6600k Asrock Z170 Pro4s Memory Upgrade No Post

I purchased a computer used a little bit ago and have wanted to install some upgrades. I have upgraded the power supply as well as upgraded from 8 to 16gb of ram and now the computer will not post.

Unchanged Parts:

i5 6600k
Asrock Z170 Pro4s (BIOS is latest version P7.50)
Team MP33 256GB NVME

Changed Parts:

Old: 2x4gb G.skill Ripjaws V F4-3200C16D-8GVK
New: 2x8gb G.skill Aegis F4-2666C19S-8GIS

Old: Apevia Captain Power 550w
New: Corsair TX650M Gold
  • Reseated the new ram kit
  • Tried a single Aegis stick
  • Reseated CPU
  • Cleared CMOS using jumper and removing the CMOS battery
  • Tested the Aegis ram in another computer with an 8th gen i5 and it posted on first try.
  • Reinstalled the old Ripjaws ram into this computer and it works fine
  • Checked and BIOS version is on the latest P7.5 dated 2018.

I am at a loss for what to do to make this ram work and am looking for ideas of what else to do.

Hey there,

Try one stick at a time of the new stuff. If one posts and the other doesn't then you know one is faulty.

Just to be clear though the system boots with the old ram still, yes?
Tried one stick at a time, neither will post.

System still boots with old ram.

The new ram is working fine when tested in another machine though.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Your MoBo has 4 RAM slots, have you tried new, individual stick, in each and every slot?

It will be tedious, but idea is:
DIMM 1 in 1st slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 2nd slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 3rd slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 4th slot - tests - yes/no for image.

Same with 2nd new stick as well:
DIMM 2 in 1st slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 2 in 2nd slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 2 in 3rd slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 2 in 4th slot - tests - yes/no for image.

Before testing, stick a stickynote to RAM stick and mark it as DIMM 1. While putting 2nd sticker to 2nd new RAM stick with DIMM 2 marking. This helps to differentiate sticks between each other during testing.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm for snits and giggles, see what mixing does. 4gb in a2 and 8gb in second.
:ROFLMAO:

For most of the times, using main channel works. But when it doesn't work, and if there is a will to get it working, this kind of manual and tedious testing is needed to be done, since it is the only way.

and now the computer will not post.

If you see an image during any of these 8 tests, great. But on the other hand: "holy hell what's about to come next". :mouais:

After the 1st 8 tests, there would be another set of testing with 2 sticks at once, e.g:
DIMM 1 in 1st slot + DIMM 2 in 2nd slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 1st slot + DIMM 2 in 3rd slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 1st slot + DIMM 2 in 4th slot - tests - yes/no for image.

DIMM 1 in 2nd slot + DIMM 2 in 1st slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 2nd slot + DIMM 2 in 3rd slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 2nd slot + DIMM 2 in 4th slot - tests - yes/no for image.

DIMM 1 in 3rd slot + DIMM 2 in 1st slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 3rd slot + DIMM 2 in 2nd slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 3rd slot + DIMM 2 in 4th slot - tests - yes/no for image.

DIMM 1 in 4th slot + DIMM 2 in 1st slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 4th slot + DIMM 2 in 2nd slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 4th slot + DIMM 2 in 3rd slot - tests - yes/no for image.

It's pain in the ass to do, but it is the only way.
:homer:

Your MoBo has 4 RAM slots, have you tried new, individual stick, in each and every slot?

It will be tedious, but idea is:
DIMM 1 in 1st slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 2nd slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 3rd slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 4th slot - tests - yes/no for image.

Same with 2nd new stick as well:
DIMM 2 in 1st slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 2 in 2nd slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 2 in 3rd slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 2 in 4th slot - tests - yes/no for image.

Before testing, stick a stickynote to RAM stick and mark it as DIMM 1. While putting 2nd sticker to 2nd new RAM stick with DIMM 2 marking. This helps to differentiate sticks between each other during testing.
I had not tried that until now. I marked one stick's label with a pencil and called it stick one, with the other stick 2. Tried each stick in every slot individually. I got the same no signal in every case unfortunately.

Should mention the "new" ram is not new, I got it used from eBay. Sticks say Aug 2019 was when they were manufactured. The "old" ram is marked Aug 2016.

Do wonder if since this is an early DDR4 machine and the BIOS is from 2018 if the system is having some issues with this "new" ram since it's newer than the rest from 2019. Not sure what IC this aegis uses, I suspect both are Samsung, probably different varieties though.

Another suggestion might be setting command rate to 2t, manual voltage 1.35v instead of default 1.2. Not sure if settings would stick changing memory, i suppose it would.
:ROFLMAO:

For most of the times, using main channel works. But when it doesn't work, and if there is a will to get it working, this kind of manual and tedious testing is needed to be done, since it is the only way.

If you see an image during any of these 8 tests, great. But on the other hand: "holy hell what's about to come next". :mouais:

After the 1st 8 tests, there would be another set of testing with 2 sticks at once, e.g:
DIMM 1 in 1st slot + DIMM 2 in 2nd slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 1st slot + DIMM 2 in 3rd slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 1st slot + DIMM 2 in 4th slot - tests - yes/no for image.

DIMM 1 in 2nd slot + DIMM 2 in 1st slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 2nd slot + DIMM 2 in 3rd slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 2nd slot + DIMM 2 in 4th slot - tests - yes/no for image.

DIMM 1 in 3rd slot + DIMM 2 in 1st slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 3rd slot + DIMM 2 in 2nd slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 3rd slot + DIMM 2 in 4th slot - tests - yes/no for image.

DIMM 1 in 4th slot + DIMM 2 in 1st slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 4th slot + DIMM 2 in 2nd slot - tests - yes/no for image,
DIMM 1 in 4th slot + DIMM 2 in 3rd slot - tests - yes/no for image.

It's pain in the ass to do, but it is the only way.
:homer:
I'll try this tomorrow. Shouldn't really take that long.

Another suggestion might be setting command rate to 2t, manual voltage 1.35v instead of default 1.2. Not sure if settings would stick changing memory, i suppose it would.
I put both kits in at the same time, with the 8gb sticks in 1 and 3, and the 4gb sticks in 2 and 4.

Booted right up and shows 24gb in task manager.

https://ibb.co/L86dbvFt

I went into the BIOS and set 1.35v and 2n as the command rate. Then I powered down and removed the 2x4 kit, leaving just the 2x8 in slots 1 and 3, and to my suprise it booted as well. Went back and set the 2666 profile in bios and it again booted fine.

https://ibb.co/vjnPyMF

But then to test if it self healed magically or if booting with 4 sticks then removing the other 2 was what caused the success, I cleared CMOS with both the 2 installed, and it failed to post again, just like before.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
These 8gb sticks are weird. It's gonna be a hassle relying on the 4s to get them or the board running. Up to you, you kinda know the sequence now but probably best return them if you can and get something else.

Or, if there's no other plans for the 4gb's and since mixing works, why not :)

Last edited:
The eBay seller does not allow returns on the 16gb aegis kit, and I'm not going to file a claim since ultimately the kit is functional, just not on this PC. I will set this kit aside for now until I have a use for it in the future.

I'm thinking the issue is that whenever the PC senses new ram it clears CMOS and tries to retrain memory, and for whatever reason it cannot complete memory training with this kit. If I boot with another kit installed it bypasses this.

For now I'm just running the 8gb kit in this system so that I can run 3200mhz XMP.

After some looking around for a cheap replacement kit I sent an offer on and bought "OLOY WARHAWK SERIES X2 MD4U0832160BE0DA 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz"

I still didn't check the QVL, and I imagine these are too new to be on the QVL, but they still should work Seller this time does offer returns, if they don't.

Reactions: boju
The OLOY kit arrived today, but it does the same exact thing the aegis kit does. It doesn't post on its own but will post if I use the help of the ripjaws kit.

So in summary:

2x4gb G.skill Ripjaws V F4-3200C16D-8GVK DOM
Posts and even can run XMP

2x8gb G.skill Aegis F4-2666C19S-8GIS 2666 C19
Fails to post without help of another kit

2x8gb OLOY Warhawk 3200 C16 MD4U0832160BE0DA
Fails to post without help of another kit

Next thing I tried was to remove the ram from my main Ryzen 3600/B550 computer for testing here. Suprisingly, both of those kits post like they should in here.

2x8gb TEAM Dark Z 4000 C18 TDZAD48G4000HC18JBK
Posts fine, won't run XMP

2x8gb 3466 C17 V-Color Prism TL8G34817D-E6PRKWK
Posts fine, won't run XMP

So I guess this is just very picky about ram. Since I don't want to use this permanently with the ram from my main system, so I guess I'm looking for another ram kit...

Well, time to go and look at the QVL.