[SOLVED] i5-6600k CPU throttling at 750 MHz

SkyLightDance

Prominent
Sep 9, 2020
So currently my CPU is capped at around 750MHz-800MHz even while its idling, the temperature is also hovering around 30~33C during this time. This will happen no matter what, tried booting up a game and it would obviously lag horribly while the CPU is staying capped at the 800MHz mark.

Build :
ASUS Z-170A MOBO
i5-6600k
GTX 1070
16GB RAM - (2) 8GB G.Skill Rip Jaw RAM sticks

What I've tried to fix the problem is the following
  • Flashed the BIOS to the latest version
  • Tried using the ASUS' built in performance plan within the BIOS to "Optimal" which seemed to put performance as the top priority
  • I tried to update the drivers for the CPU from the intel website, but ironically due to the throttling it won't let me install them due to the fact that my PC does not meet the minimum requirements for installing
  • Tried resetting the BIOS settings to default
  • Tried resetting the BIOS with clrCMOS with both the jumper and removing the battery
  • Also while fiddling around within BIOS saw that the MIN & MAX speeds were capped at 800 MHz, but I am currently unaware of how to fix that.

Solution
Get all appropriate Z170A chipset drivers from ASus, and install them...

Make sure all WIndows updates applied....

Ensure at least Balanced mode is selected in Power Plan...

Retest (default MS drivers often result in being stuck at 800 MHz or so)

SkyLightDance

Prominent
Sep 9, 2020
Screenshot_951.png
Screenshot_952.png

So using HWiNFO, I was able to get some more info and it seems like the only reason is PROCHOT. Meanwhile it looks like the CPU temps are showing to be around 30 C, but I don't know what the whole distance to TjMAX temps are about. Hopefully this helps with diagnosing the problem