[SOLVED] i5 6600k Realbench stress test. Are these safe max temps?

Readman

Honorable
Mar 31, 2016
I overclocked my i5 6600k to 4.6ghz with 1.35 voltage. I ran a realbench stress test for 15 mins at 8gb memory. As you can see in the image below, my max temps go pretty high up there at 90 degrees. Average at around 80/85 degrees.

Is this safe and normal or should I be worried?

My specs:
i5-6600K 3.5 GHz
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151
Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Crucial BX100 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
MSI Radeon R9 390 8 GB Video Card
NZXT S340 ATX Mid Tower Case
SeaSonic S12II 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Solution
Buy some thermal grizzly kryonaut (non conductive), clean the CPU die and Heatsink copper very well with isoprophyl alcohol and let it dry before applying the thermal paste (super clean and shiny). Use semi high mounting pressure. Repeat thermal tests.
Best case, 2-4c difference. Worse case, 10 bucks wasted on paste. Dont get me wrong, I use tg myself, but it's not a make or break thing.

The 212 is what's holding this oc back, imo. Also the voltage does seem fairly high, but that could just be the silicon lottery. My 6600k would do 4.6@1.25ish. But required over 1.4 for a stable 4.7.

If a cooler is in budget, try and grab a better one. If air, the d15 cant be beat. But its pricey. You could try the artic freezer 34 duo, it's...
90C is a certainly warm for only 4.6 GHz, but, I'm more familiar with a DH-15's temps than those of a 212...

Is that core voltage (1.34) required, or set set manually? Or, did the mainboard set it in some sort of OC preset ?( 1.34V might be more than needed, which greatly contributes to heat; step it down to 1.3V then 1.27V and test for stability and temps)

Reactions: Gmoney06ss
Buy some thermal grizzly kryonaut (non conductive), clean the CPU die and Heatsink copper very well with isoprophyl alcohol and let it dry before applying the thermal paste (super clean and shiny). Use semi high mounting pressure. Repeat thermal tests.

Best case, 2-4c difference. Worse case, 10 bucks wasted on paste. Dont get me wrong, I use tg myself, but it's not a make or break thing.

The 212 is what's holding this oc back, imo. Also the voltage does seem fairly high, but that could just be the silicon lottery. My 6600k would do 4.6@1.25ish. But required over 1.4 for a stable 4.7.

If a cooler is in budget, try and grab a better one. If air, the d15 cant be beat. But its pricey. You could try the artic freezer 34 duo, it's about 35usd and is a 200w cooler vs the 150w 212.

I'd also try less voltage if possible. The lower the better. But if lower voltage isnt achievable, try a better cooler.

Solution

If a cooler is in budget, try and grab a better one. If air, the d15 cant be beat. But its pricey. You could try the artic freezer 34 duo, it's about 35usd and is a 200w cooler vs the 150w 212.

I'd also try less voltage if possible. The lower the better. But if lower voltage isnt achievable, try a better cooler.

Kinda depends if he used cheapest stuff possible or mounted it too badly there can be 10c difference. I agree with new cooler though, had many aio:s and aircoolers and cant really recommend anythng other than aircoolers, way cheaper and same cooling unless you go some crazy custom setup which costs alot.