i5 6600k Recent FPS Drops

Jul 13, 2018
In the past two months or so, my FPS on pretty much every game has started suffering hugely.

pOBbC59.png

Here are the Hardware Monitor results after playing Rocket League for ten minutes or so. Before these problems, I would (as expected) get solid 60fps at 1440p, without any problems. Now though, no matter what my settings, my frames drop at times to 50 or even 40. Doesn't matter what map or anything like that.

In GTA Online it's much the same, frame drops to 50 or 40 when previously I'd get solid 60 with no problems. Battlefield 1 is the worst, where frames can drop to as low as 25 in very high action moments. It doesn't matter what my settings are either, I get exactly the same performance on ultra high as I do on medium.

The only thing I've thought of is that it could be my processor bottlenecking my GPU, but I don't want to fork out money on a new motherboard and processor if it's not going to fix the problem. I've done a full MalwareBytes scan which came up clean, and I'm going to reinstall windows soon to see if it makes any difference, though I'm not holding my breath.

My full specs are

MSI Z170A Motherboard
EVGA 750W PSU
Intel i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz
Gigabyte G1 Nvidia GTX1080
16GB HyperX 2133Hz DDR4
Two 1TB Hard drives, two 250GB SSDs.

FPS problems persist on games installed both on SSDs or HDDs.

I'm at my wits end. I don't know what else to do, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 13, 2018

I reinstalled Windows (thus clearing any video drivers) and the problem persists. I can't think of anything it could be other than my CPU being on the blink.