[SOLVED] i5 6600K stability testing: Prime version and what about AVX/AVX2?

peke12

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I've read the CPU overclocking guide and tutorial for beginners but I still have some questions.
For thermal testing, when using prime 29.8 or higher, disable AVX/AVX2 and select small FFT. I manage to stay below 80°C for 15 minutes.
For stability testing, it is said to run the blend test for 8 hrs. Do I still disable AVX and AVX2?

you can also run the small FFT test for 8 hrs as an extra test. Do I disable AVX and AVX2 for this test? Because if I don't, I get higher temps than I got during thermal testing and I get an error immediately. I suppose this is not good and I need to change voltage or cpu ratio.
on stock level, I don't get errors with small FFT and AVX/AVX2 enabled.

Is it also ok to use prime version 26.6 for stability and thermal testing with the i5 6600k?

Last edited:
Solution
I've read the CPU overclocking guide and tutorial for beginners.
For thermal testing, when using prime 29.8 or higher, disable AVX/AVX2 and select small FFT. I manage to stay below 80°C for 15 minutes.
For stability testing, it is said to run the blend test for 8 hrs. Do I also need to disable AVX/AVX2 in this case? If not, why not during blend test?

Is it also ok to use prime version 26.6 for stability and thermal testing with the i5 6600k?
I always use OCCT their nothing to cut on or off just click the green on button on the program. I see no reason to run it over 30 minutes or so. It will end the test if a core hits 85C. It also uses 80% of your memory or 90 forget so it's stressing that also.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I've read the CPU overclocking guide and tutorial for beginners.
For stability testing, it is said to run the blend test for 8 hrs. Do I also need to disable AVX/AVX2 in this case? If not, why not during blend test?

I always use OCCT their nothing to cut on or off just click the green on button on the program. I see no reason to run it over 30 minutes or so. It will end the test if a core hits 85C. It also uses 80% of your memory or 90 forget so it's stressing that also.

Solution